PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Playing Alto & Tenor

I’ve played tenor and clarinets all my life, with long intervals between, but keep on coming back to them. Played in lots of bands, swing, jazz, large bands, small bands, the lot in my younger days, not so much in recent times. Played for over 60 years now and counting. Must be mad, but have just bought a second hand YAS 62 mk 1, so a new learning curve. Haven’t got my hands on it yet, as it’s with Dawkes for major service. Can’t wait till mid-Jan when I get it back. Am I in for a surprise?

I've only been playing tenor for about a year, after many years of alto. I prefer the tenor, but am more proficient on alto--at least I was until recently. I played an alto gig Friday night, after practising tenor almost exclusively for months. My air flow has improved due to the tenor, but my alto embouchure has weakened. At the show, my reed closed up during solos, and I squeaked a few times. That night, I was a failed altoist.

I don't think the audience really noticed. People don't really get the sax. Still, from now on, I'll be spending more time on alto.

The post above is attributed to me, but I didn’t write it. I’m only recently joined, so I must have done something wrong. In which case, I’m really sorry for any confusion caused.

The post above is attributed to me, but I didn’t write it. I’m only recently joined, so I must have done something wrong. In which case, I’m really sorry for any confusion caused.
It’s nothing :) You must have touched “reply” by accident underneath that post and then pressed “Post reply” which sent it to the thread. It’s a good way to respond to a particular post/member as their post appears and your comment goes underneath.

Can someone clue me in on an "alto embouchure" vs. a tenor one ? I mean, I do not consciously approach the two horns differently in that respect.

Seems to work for me....

It’s nothing :) You must have touched “reply” by accident underneath that post and then pressed “Post reply” which sent it to the thread. It’s a good way to respond to a particular post/member as their post appears and your comment goes underneath.
Thanks for this, Alice. Hope I’m now doing it right?

I've mostly avoided the tenor because I've always thought it would put me on the path to being a "Jack of all trades and master of none". Not that I'm ever likely to be a master but aren't you having to retrain your ear and then doesn't that throw you off just slightly when you switch back?

Most big band sax players, alto or tenor, are expected to switch from sax to clarinet on occasion, even during the playing of one arrangement, which requires an even bigger adjustment of embouchure than tenor to alto. But it seems to happen unconsciously, without really thinking about it, which is I think what JayeNM is saying.
Don’t be afraid to switch from alto to tenor, for it’s a relatively easy switch, and can enhance the sax playing enjoyment greatly, as some music seems to lend itself naturally to one instrument or the other.

Most big band sax players, alto or tenor, are expected to switch from sax to clarinet on occasion, even during the playing of one arrangement, which requires an even bigger adjustment of embouchure than tenor to alto. But it seems to happen unconsciously, without really thinking about it, which is I think what JayeNM is saying.
Don’t be afraid to switch from alto to tenor, for it’s a relatively easy switch, and can enhance the sax playing enjoyment greatly, as some music seems to lend itself naturally to one instrument or the other.
Yes, that is what I am saying...I seriously make no 'effort' to blow nicely/'correctly' on one horn or the other...this is why the existence of a distinction has surprised me a bit....

I don't think there is much difference technique wise between alto and tenor, if anything i might just take in more mouthpiece on tenor and push a bit more air in, I play 80% alto and find its not difficult to move to tenor or soprano.

I've mostly avoided the tenor because I've always thought it would put me on the path to being a "Jack of all trades and master of none". Not that I'm ever likely to be a master but aren't you having to retrain your ear and then doesn't that throw you off just slightly when you switch back?

I've accepted the fact that I'm a "Jack of all trades and master of none".

The good news is that, although it took me many years, I'm now far more comfortable switching between alto, tenor, soprano and baritone. I haven't really defined a schedule to practice each and everyone of them in turn, but I guess I should. I tend to have periods when I play one more than the others. But I like to vary. Just as I enjoy a glass of Bordeaux one day, a glass of Burgundy another and a Bandol some other time. I don't really have a preference. They all taste different and I like it that way!

I also take more mouthpiece in on tenor, and roll my lower lip out a bit more. My alto embouchure is usually a little less relaxed (for better or worse), and my airstream more focused.

I remember reading a quote from Paul Desmond somewhere in which he talked about rolling his lower lip over his teeth, as one does on clarinet. But it's all very personal: what works for one player might not work for another.

Brilliant thread, ladies and gents! Thanks to OP @IGoddard odd for starting it.
I started on clarinet about 62 years ago, but neglected it for 60 or 61.

I've hardly touched my alto since getting a tenor. Must get around to selling it some time!

Most Jazz players don’t.

Everywhere I've just checked, people "who look like they know what they are talking about" say the lip acts as a cushion between the reed and the teeth(as I thought). If this is correct and you don't have larger than average lips, surely you are folding your lip back over your teeth?

I never position my lower lip over my lower teeth....seems very uncomfortable to me....

Brilliant thread, ladies and gents! Thanks to OP @IGoddard odd for starting it.
I started on clarinet about 62 years ago, but neglected it for 60 or 61.
...does there follow a story of a lass in the woods who once lent you her clarinet....?????