support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Play in octave key pivot on Selmer VI Tenor crook

Baxter

I am wondering if there are any short term remedies that won't cause any damage.

The sax is new to me and I intend ringing the dealer tomorrow, but I have no chance of getting it back there and two small gigs this week where I'd like to play the new machine! It's not vital as I still have my original sax.

The pad seemed to be sticking and have a pronounced dent in it and I then noticed some play in the pivot mostly in the vertical plane. I've moistened the pad and cleaned it. Causing a modest improvement.

However it doesn't reseat cleanly, after opening on A or higher notes, meaning that the tone of the sax is affected and struggle to get low notes. Pressing on the pad reseats it and low notes are fine. I'm not convinced this is the only leak and would be grateful for any checks to perform. I have looked at Stephen Howard's website.

The sax played fine in the shop and on 3 occasions since. After getting it out of the case (no knocks or anything) I discovered the above problem.

Many thanks

Bax

Hi Bax, welcome to the forum.

There are some good techs who visit here, including Stephen Howard.

Some extra springyness might help reseat, I would try an elastic band as a very very short term measure until you can get a tech to sort it.

Having said that, if the pad is sticking, the extra tension could make that worse. If you feel brave, you could try replacing the pad with a piece of cork, I've done that kind of fix myself for dented 8ve key pads.

Make sure the pivot screw is tight (not overtight) and the rod is clean and lubricated.

Thanks Pete. That's brought about a huge improvement.... and therefore relief!
The pivot was almost dry, so I've lightly oiled the pivot screw. Light pressure from fairly loosely tied weak elastic has made a big change. I'll check tomorrow to see wether I need to keep this in place or whether it's done the trick already.

Stephen's Haynes manual is Santa-bound. I live in Lymington and so had envisaged getting him to look it over in the near future. Meanwhile I think that initial quirks ought to be covered by the shop.

PS I'm really enjoying the PPT mouthpiece I bought from you earlier this year.

Page 4 of this Band Director Repair Clinic has some tips for adjusting the saxophone octave mechanism.

To test the neck (crook) to see if the spring is too weak to close the octave vent, blow into the neck while closing the tenon with the palm of your hand. The air should not leak from the octave pad no matter how hard you blow. If it does, and you are comfortable taking the neck key off, you can remove the key and put a little more curve in the spring using only your fingers. This will be a more permanent fix than adding a rubber band which contains sulfur and can leave a permanent mark on the instrument.

The most common problem is that there is not a sufficient gap between the ring from the neck octave and the post on the saxophone.

This will be a more permanent fix than adding a rubber band which contains sulfur and can leave a permanent mark on the instrument.

Exactly. I did say it's a very very short term fix, but should have added that it will leave marks, and (if you rely on it) will snap one day in the middle of a very important solo

Thanks jbtsax for a useful link should I need to find a 'First Aid' type repair. I don't particularly need to be spring bending at this stage. The fault seems to lie more in pivot play and pad not seating every time on the previous dimple in the pad. Increasing the tension will mask the inherent issues I feel.

I've spoken to the shop today and arranged to go back so they can to rectify it.

Without wanting to tempt fate, I could do with getting some snap in my solos...!

Back
Top Bottom