PPT mouthpieces

Phone/tablet apps?

Big-Al

Locality
West Yorks
I was thinking or getting metronome the other day - rhythm needs some working on! Had a moment of inspiration which happens once in a while ;} and went on the app store and found a number of free metronome apps:thumb: All very useful. So I was wondering if any one else has found some useful music related apps?

Al,

On the iPhoen I have got and like:

Cleartune - tuner with lots of facilities (transpose, different temperaments, calibrations) and a good display
Tempo - very good metronome app
PitchPrimer - records and plays back on a pitch tracing chart and lets you see/hear where intonation can be improved
Play by Ear - exercises to help ear training (intervals, chords, melodies) and lets you play back at it with your instrument (incl. transposing)
iRealBook - backing tracks to hundreds of jazz standards with ability to change tempo, feel, key signature. Chords only, no melodies

Rhys

Last edited by a moderator:
On Android, I have:

gStrings: tuner;
Interval Recognition: ear training app;
Chordbot Pro: plays chord sequences.

On my itouch I have ilift which will slow tracks down without altering the pitch.

On the iPhone I have:
Cleartune - tuner with transposing ability
Metronome
AB Loop
iSaidWhat - handy recorder editor
IRealB

I'll have to try a few of these, at least most apps are only a few pounds. I wish someone would write an app that would only you to write sheet music and then transpose it in to any key!

Thanks Al,

Don't know of any notation software for iDevices, but I was shown MuseScore (http://musescore.org/) today, which is free and is supposed to be pretty simple to use... Haven't tried it myself though!
You can type in your music and move it up and down in pitch on here.

I haven't shelled out for ClearTune, I've got TunDFree, which isn't very good to be honest, but close enough for most things in mid-range. Mostly I only use it for my Ukulele though!

Nick

My Chromatic Tuner has a metronome built in, and I'm happy with that.

Is there on that removes that annoying "Sent from my Gigantaphone by tapatalk" footing?

Yes, you are right, have given up cellphones.

Is there on that removes that annoying "Sent from my Gigantaphone by tapatalk" footing?

Yes,please. It'd stop me from wanting to strangle them.

Sent from my Packard Bell PC running Windows XP in Firefox, typed with real fingers.

Don't know of any notation software for iDevices, but I was shown MuseScore (http://musescore.org/) today, which is free and is supposed to be pretty simple to use... Haven't tried it myself though!
You can type in your music and move it up and down in pitch on here.

I haven't shelled out for ClearTune, I've got TunDFree, which isn't very good to be honest, but close enough for most things in mid-range. Mostly I only use it for my Ukulele though!

Nick

Nick, thanks for that I'll give it a try. I did shell out for clear tune and it is really good as you can change the key which is useful with four of us in the house all with instrument in various different keys.

Al,

For tuning at home I use a bespoke Korg tuner. However, if I'm out and about I use Clear Tune on the iPhone. Really handy as you can change pitch (viols are usually at A=415 rather than A=440) and change the temperament (viols sound better tempered something like 1/6th coma mean tone or Velotti). It's really handy for checking the pitch of an unfamiliar organ in a church.

The local organ where I live is a typical hybrid. It has parts that belonged to the organ in the Medieval church (which fell down in the late C17th), plus a lot of C18th and C19th pipework. It's difficult to know whether it's been messed about with by the Victorians or if it was genuinely at a higher pitch, but it's now at about A=465. This makes it just about impossible to tune woodwind and brass instruments to it (could you tune your sax up nearly a semi-tone sharp?). If we have a concert there that needs woodwind and brass with organ, we have to hire a chamber organ.

So, the meter is really handy when checking out new possible concert venues and verifying the art of the possible...

I'm using Symphony Pro notation app on the iPad which is great. Easy to use - I've only needed to check the help a couple of times - and so far has had all the features/marks I need.