support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Paco on Improvisation

Account Closed
This is interesting if you speak Spanish or read the subtitles. He says he didn't know at all how to improvise. He thought about it, and finally figured it out. He says many interesting things if you're patient enough to watch and read.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXj-MnoGW0g

There should be an Improvisation prefix in this section, and an Intonation one.

(re-posted this in the forum section)

Last edited by a moderator:
And the playing isn't bad, either. That 'Friday Night in San Francisco' Album was a real eye opener when I first heard it in my late teens. Heavy Metal on nylon strings..

Intonation yes, impro has its own forum anyway so I can move this thread to that.
Thanks Pete, for some reason I never saw the improv part of "improv & theory", which is why I expected it would be a part of "playing", but it's both, isn't it.

Thanks Pete, for some reason I never saw the improv part of "improv & theory", which is why I expected it would be a part of "playing", but it's both, isn't it.

No, I have specifically decided to separate actual technique from impro.

One of my pet peeves is when someone says "I just started saxophone lessons and my saxophone teacher got me doing chord/modes and II V Is in all keys"

That is not learning the saxophone.

No, I have specifically decided to separate actual technique from impro.

One of my pet peeves is when someone says "I just started saxophone lessons and my saxophone teacher got me doing chord/modes and II V Is in all keys"

That is not learning the saxophone.
Interesting! So you see improvisation as theory-based or at least related, which I suppose it is. As a civilian, I just see it as part of playing, but of course there is theory behind it as well. As for ii V I and modes, I learned scale fingerings but I never practiced ii V I, even on guitar. I find that to be the one thing that all jazz-ish players do most of the time.

Interesting! So you see improvisation as theory-based or at least related, which I suppose it is. As a civilian, I just see it as part of playing, but of course there is theory behind it as well.

I lump it in with composing and to a lesser extent arranging. It is obviously part of playing, but not saxophone playing per se.