PPT mouthpieces

Overtone Practice

aaronmoze

Recently I have been working on my overtones to improve my tone and enable me to reach the altissimo register. I have been using the Top Tones for Saxophone exercises. My question is: I play multiple saxophones during the day, alto, tenor, c-melody. Is there any adverse affects from practicing the overtones on each horn within the same day or within a few days of each other?

Hi

Welcome to the café :)

If you get a chance please do introduce yourself in the doorbell section.

Jx

To answer your question there are no more adverse effects to working on overtones playing 3 different saxophones a day than any other aspect of playing. My question is why are you working on 3 different sizes of saxophones at the same time? A good argument can be made to focus on just one instrument until an acceptable level of mastery is achieved and then move on to the next. The finest doublers that I know personally all attained a professional level on their first instrument, usually the clarinet, before starting to add doubles.

I am a music teacher at a high school. I just get lazy and don't transpose parts on sight all of the time which is why I play a variety during the day. And my c melody sounds amazing!

I look on it as keeping you flexible and not locked in. Good to hear someone is playing a C Mel and not treating it as a curiosity.