All profit supporting   special needs music

Saxophones Oops I Did it Again - I Just Bought a 2nd Sopranino

Targa

Targa

Among the pigeons
Locality
KIC 8462852
Despite fat fingers and dodgy eyesight I seem to have got the octave mechanism working. The springs are really weak but one of the two was the wrong side of its cradle.

View attachment 20383

Here it is, sleeping quietly with some friends.

A million points if anyone identifies them all, from left to right. The new Bauhaus 'nino is one in from the left with a Yanagisawa metal mouthpiece that seems to suit it.

Rhys
Meadow, Tony, A. J., Junior, Carmela

LostCircuits

LostCircuits

Locality
Black Forest
Despite fat fingers and dodgy eyesight I seem to have got the octave mechanism working. The springs are really weak but one of the two was the wrong side of its cradle.

View attachment 20383

A million points if anyone identifies them all, from left to right. The new Bauhaus 'nino is one in from the left with a Yanagisawa metal mouthpiece that seems to suit it.

Rhys
If you post a slightly larger picture :)

I am jealous!

MMM

MMM

Locality
SW of London Town
From left: Orsi curved nino, Bauhaus, Yanagisawa, Rampone saxello, Stephanhauser curved sop: have I won a million points?

rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
From left: Orsi curved nino, Bauhaus, Yanagisawa, Rampone saxello, Stephanhauser curved sop: have I won a million points?

Three out of five is good but wins you nothing !

The middle one and the one on the right are incorrect and both difficult to identify unless you know what I've got.

Rhys

Reactions: MMM
nigeld

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
The middle one and the one on the right are incorrect and both difficult to identify unless you know what I've got.

I'm guessing that the middle one is an Eppelsheim C-soprano.
Is the one on the right a Keilwerth?

rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
I'm guessing that the middle one is an Eppelsheim C-soprano.
Is the one on the right a Keilwerth?

That's 4 out of 5. I don't think that Keilwerth ever made a curved soprano - at least not a modern shiny one like this. Think of "He Who Must Not Be Named" (on SOTW).

Rhys

nigeld

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
Saxgourmet curved soprano.

rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
nigeld

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
We have a winner, with 5/5 and only a little assistance !

Instead of a million points your prize is the chance to hear my first ever recording on sopranino. For some reason Audacity has stopped playing with my mic via the audio interface, so this is the first take captured on my Zoom H2n and aligned by hand.

Still Crazy After All These Years - Rhys nino V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys
Good effort, but I don't think the nino is likely to beat your R&C soprano anytime soon.

Colin the Bear

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Sounds a little odd to me. :confused:

Hankenstine

Hankenstine

Locality
UK

View attachment 20383

Rhys

I like the look of that curved sopranino!

rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
I like the look of that curved sopranino!

It's a cutie and it doubles as a smoker's pipe. But do read Steve Howard's review before being tempted to buy one.

Maybe a 'nino duet with one curved and the other straight would be the ultimate form of torture. Hmm.

Rhys

thomsax

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
I had a Selmer MKVI sopranino for two years. It was not easy for me to play the sopranino. I take my hat of for all sopranino playes.

rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NoeMMEvtIc4
not that bad torture on Italian sopranini of different eras

Interesting. I wonder whether the Borgani really was as old as 1899 as it said at the start of the video. I thought he sounded more comfortable on that one than the curved Rampone, and it was surprising just how different the two 'ninos sounded.

Rhys

CryptoHead

CryptoHead

Café Supporter
Locality
Escazu, Costa Rica
A friend came over on Saturday and asked about my sopranino as he had a hankering to blow one. He is a fine jazz musician who plays flute, clarinet, electric bass, tenor horn as well lovely soprano, alto and tenor sax.

I told him that he wouldn't enjoy my Orsi curved soprano and pointed him at the (harsh but fair) review of it written by @Stephen Howard . Orsi sopranino saxophone review

As my friend's budget for a 'nino wouldn't be high I suggested that he look out for one of the Far Eastern copies of the Yanagisawa sopranino which are supposed to be quite good for the money.

Then on Sunday I made the mistake of looking on eBay to see what was available. And I found this new but marked Bauhaus Sopranino for a fairly reasonable £400. Bauhaus Sopranino Saxophone | eBay

Now it's heading my way - but if it's any good I will lend it to my friend and see what he makes of it.

Rhys
I understand.
When you are in love with the instrument, it's hard to resist!
Enjoy!
Regards,
Rodrigo

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom