support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

One of our Dogs loves the Sound of a Harmonica!

Hal the Elder

Account Closed
204.jpgOur blue-eyed female mixed-breed Australian Cattle Dog/ Alaskan Huskie "Barbie" is attracted to my Harmonica and joins in with her "singing", which is a modified from of howling that contains many different vowel sounds, some similar to the human voice.

She does this "singing" only to my Hohner "C" Harmonica, and never to my Saxophone, Clarinet, or any of the instrumental sounds I can select from my 88-note Yamaha Orchestral Clavinova.

Even if I barely make a sound, simply by "breathing" into the harp, Barbie will begin her song, and after I stop, she'll continue by "winding down" with a diminuendo voice.

I never heard any other dog with such a variety of voicing!

Our other dog pays no attention to my playing.

That' all,

HAL

Last edited by a moderator:
Today, I went to practice on my bari sax.
When I started playing notes in the middle register, my dog started to howl lik a wolf

I guess my sound needs a bit more work :shocked:

View attachment 1726Our blue-eyed female mixed-breed Australian Cattle Dog/ Alaskan Huskie "Barbie"

With a dog of that mixed origin she probably runs a bit hot and cold :)))

and shouldn't she be called "Kylie" or "Shelia" or "Kath and Kim"? :)

maybe she likes the sound of an ethnic Australian musical instrument like the wobble board or the didgeridoo..."Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport" or "Tie Me Mojave Desert Kangaroo Rat Down Sport" ...:)))

Cheers from that other land downunder...

Greg S.

You could put him in your act when you hit the road like my dad did with me, but I "played" the scrub board. Dog howling, five year old playing a scrub board same difference. :thumb:

View attachment 1726Our blue-eyed female mixed-breed Australian Cattle Dog/ Alaskan Huskie "Barbie" is attracted to my Harmonica and joins in with her "singing", which is a modified from of howling that contains many different vowel sounds, some similar to the human voice.

She does this "singing" only to my Hohner "C" Harmonica, and never to my Saxophone, Clarinet, or any of the instrumental sounds I can select from my 88-note Yamaha Orchestral Clavinova.

Even if I barely make a sound, simply by "breathing" into the harp, Barbie will begin her song, and after I stop, she'll continue by "winding down" with a diminuendo voice.

I never heard any other dog with such a variety of voicing!

Our other dog pays no attention to my playing.

That' all,

HAL
Hi Hal, there used to be a group in the late forties early fifties called the `Borrah Minevitch and his Harmonica Rascals` An American group who were accomplished musicians. Their act had something of the circus about it lots of jesting and jumping around.

The act tended to focus on the what I assume was the bass harmonica player, a very small gentleman who blew this gigantic harmonica. He occasionally brought a dog on stage with him and at a given signal the dog would howl in tune as an accompaniment.

I believe there are some images on Utube of this group. I had the privilege of seeing the group live at The Empire Theatre Newcastle upon Tyne in the early fifties. Regds. N.

HEY EVERYBODY,

I was so impressed with those two "Howling Dog" videos that I was wondering how I would go about producing a short 30-second video clip (with sound) of my Barbie with her "singing" howl.

I've never used a Video camera before, but I understand that they no longer require that external battery pack that you slung over your shouder, and they also now have built-in Microphones. Don't they call them "Camcorders" now?

Do they record on a large-capacity Memory Card, like a Digicam?

Would I be able to upload the film clip as a file to my Computer using a USB Cable?

Would I then be able to post it as an attachment to a Forum post?

Thanks,
HOWL

Back
Top Bottom