support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Old Newbie from Tennessee, USA

New Member Introduction
This is an introduction (not an ad or question about saxophone)

decotriumph

Hello all,

Thanks for this good forum, all ye who make it so. I'm retired, 72-years-old, and have decided to learn to play the saxophone. I have the time, so I may as well use it constructively. I love saxophone music, especially jazz, and I'm hoping to be able to play something recognizable in a few weeks.

I'm currently looking for a suitable used instrument (i.e., good condition, good quality, reasonable price). I own a pretty nice 1923 silver-plated Buescher alto, but I've been advised to probably learn to play on a newer instrument. I'm waffling between buying a tenor or an alto. I'm a big guy with big hands, so some student saxes may be too small for me.

Small amount of boring history, feel free to skip! When I was about 12 (1962), I wanted to join the school band. I wanted to play trumpet or clarinet, probably because I had seen Louis Armstrong and Dizzy Gillespie on TV and liked their music, and they looked to be having fun. Unfortunately, my lips wouldn't work on a mouthpiece for those horns, so I wound up with a rental saxophone as a consolation. My heart wasn't in it, so I didn't practice and gave it up at the end of the summer. As I've matured (gotten old), I find that saxophones produce my favorite sounds, so here I go, 60 years later!

Alan Mayes
Tullahoma, TN, USA

I'm currently looking for a suitable used instrument (i.e., good condition, good quality, reasonable price). I own a pretty nice 1923 silver-plated Buescher alto, but I've been advised to probably learn to play on a newer instrument. I'm waffling between buying a tenor or an alto. I'm a big guy with big hands, so some student saxes may be too small for me.
Greetings from Ohio! I've been to Nashville too many times to count on business. You're not far from the center of American music.
There are many here with much more expertise than I, but have you looked into having your horn adjusted and repadded?
Of course, if you are planning on switching to tenor from alto, then the folks here could give you some good suggestions.
I would guess that most of us here use vintage horns. I own a King Zephyr and a King Cleveland, both altos.

There are many here with much more expertise than I, but have you looked into having your horn adjusted and repadded?
Of course, if you are planning on switching to tenor from alto, then the folks here could give you some good suggestions.
I would guess that most of us here use vintage horns. I own a King Zephyr and a King Cleveland, both altos.
I'm leaning toward tenor at the moment. My thought is that I'll get a modern tenor to learn on, and then get the Buescher serviced to use as my alto. If it has some quirkiness or difficulties, it won't be that big of a deal.

Welcome the Cafe. I don't think it matters how big you are for playing an alto. As for modern, I have a 1917 Lyon & Healy tenor that is actually a Buescher True Tone stencil. An alto is good to start on though because there are a lot of resources for learning to play though IMO the tenor sounds better. Regardless, the arguments about vintage vs. more modern instruments is mute for the beginner since we won't be able to actually use benefits a more modern instrument has to offer. Heck if all of the pads seal and the keys don't stick it is good enough to learn the fingering and scales on. Though I will say that the mouthpiece and reed will make an HUGE difference, don't scrimp there. What I am saying is don't let somebody talk you into buying a new Buick or Lincoln when an old Chevy or Ford in good condition was more than good enough.

Welcome to the Café.
You have jumped right into the middle of an ongoing, and unresolvable, debate about whether vintage or modern saxes are better, in particular for beginners.

Personally, having owned some vintage saxophones I am in the ”modern “ camp - I find modern instruments easier to play - but other people have the opposite experience.

I used to own a Buescher TrueTone alto. It was the prettiest saxophone I will ever own, and it sounded gorgeous. But it simply didn’t fit my big hands, so it had to go.

The important thing is to find an instrument the feels good under your fingers and which gives you pleasure. This also applies to the choice of alto or tenor.

but I've been advised to probably learn to play on a newer instrument.
This may or may not be good advice.

I'd suggest you discuss this on the forum (ut on the saxophone subform as opposed to in the member introduction thread as you'll get more advice and responses asa new thread:

Here:

Hello all,

Thanks for this good forum, all ye who make it so. I'm retired, 72-years-old, and have decided to learn to play the saxophone. I have the time, so I may as well use it constructively. I love saxophone music, especially jazz, and I'm hoping to be able to play something recognizable in a few weeks.

Small amount of boring history, feel free to skip! When I was about 12 (1962), I wanted to join the school band. I wanted to play trumpet or clarinet, probably because I had seen Louis Armstrong and Dizzy Gillespie on TV and liked their music, and they looked to be having fun. Unfortunately, my lips wouldn't work on a mouthpiece for those horns, so I wound up with a rental saxophone as a consolation. My heart wasn't in it, so I didn't practice and gave it up at the end of the summer. As I've matured (gotten old), I find that saxophones produce my favorite sounds, so here I go, 60 years later!

Alan Mayes
Tullahoma, TN, USA
Welcome to this most helpful forum..age is no barrier to enjoying music and it"s challenges..at 77 I try to learn something new every day...the secret of eternal life still eludes me though...best of luck on your musical journey.

Welcome!

As I understand it, you've not played anything since you where 12? Which is fine and not that unusually here (me too).

But don't get caught up in classic sax Vs whatever. Get a nice, reliable instrument so it doesn't get in your way. And, probably, a teacher.

Well, I did settle on an instrument. I found a good deal on a well-cared for Cannonball tenor. It fits my hands and it's beautiful, so it shall be my learning instrument and probably my forever tenor as well.
20221230_172933_resized.jpg

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom