• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophone beginners newbie question - bottom lip NOT over teeth - bad news?

Ok, thanks Kev.

The URL is: http://saxophonehub.com
and to be fully transparent, you'll need to subscribe to the newsletter in order to access the videos.

Right now there are 18 videos in the free section and can be a very good starting point for beginner sax players.

The video regarding this particular question can be found in Module #3. It's the first video there.

I have gone to the website, signed up for the Silver Saxophone Membership, signed up for the mailing list, and still cannot access any of the videos referenced in this post.
 
I have gone to the website, signed up for the Silver Saxophone Membership, signed up for the mailing list, and still cannot access any of the videos referenced in this post.

Hi, I just saw your message. I'm sending you an email right now. I'll help you out!

*edited

I've added a new login box in the sidebar labeled "student login" which should solve that problem. Sorry about the delay. If you still have problems logging in please let me know.
I wish you nothing but a smooth ride throughout my site.
Thanks.
Greger
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Greger, I signed up a couple of days ago. But it wasn't straight forward. 1st the mailing list then confiirm the email ad. Then resign up for SilverMembership, then was asked to confirm again by eamil...Kinda got bored by then and didn't bother watching..Sorry..

Chris..
 
Greger, I signed up a couple of days ago. But it wasn't straight forward. 1st the mailing list then confiirm the email ad. Then resign up for SilverMembership, then was asked to confirm again by eamil...Kinda got bored by then and didn't bother watching..Sorry..

Chris..

I TOTALLY understand you!
And I will actually change that to just one opt-in.
That's the downside with using a "default" signup system.

I'm coding away as we speak and will make a change in this during the day.

Thanks for letting me know, it helps me improve!
 
I have successfully logged in, but still have no access to any videos. I entered my name and email again and just get into this loop that takes me back to the same page.

You should see the lessons straight away as you log in. I will double check it for you.

Please email me at [email protected] if there are any other support questions.

We've gone of topic a bit in this thread.
 
I am 30 hours into learning an Alto Sax. I took one 30 minute lesson, last week, and this was the exact issue he focused on. I played Clarinet 40 years ago and he knew it as soon as I started to play. Role your lower lip if you want to , but drop your jaw down. My lip is in terrible condition from an hour a day practice. It is healing well since I took the pressure off.
I also agree about keeping it fun. When practice gets boring and difficult, I lose my desire so I always inculed some of my old favorites from the Clarinet. Two of those songs are Pete Fountain's "Closer Walk with Thee" and the song "All of Me". "Chatanuga Shoe Shine Boy" turns me on too.
Keep having fun. I will never be an entertainer of others, but I always entertain myself.
 
Guys - I havnt had my first lesson yet but I am trying to learn the embochure and dont want to get into a bad habit so a little direction please...

Beginner books and youtube videos say to curl your bottom lip over your teeth...

But I discovered today that I can get a smoother more full and even sound by pressing my lower lip against the vertical face of my teeth but NOT actually over them. I am still pressing the reed with my lower lip.

Is a non supported lip bad practice? MUST I curl my lip over my teeth? I.e. its a fundamental sax law 🙂

I envisage you will all say lip-over-teeth... and i will accept that and learn it if that is the case - but why is the sound better if i dont?

I think I have found a local teacher who would of course tell me - but I am waiting for him to come back off holiday before I can ask about lessons.
View: https://youtu.be/VvvilCbPjfQ

this is well worth looking at, if the link doesn't work go onto you tube and have a look at Harvey Pittel Embouchure, I discovered it last week
 
MUST I curl my lip over my teeth?

No


Is a non supported lip bad practice?

Yes.

If that seems contradictory, let me explain:

Lip over teeth means your lip is supported by the teeth.

Lip not over teeth doesn't necessarily mean your lip is unsupported, but it could mean that.

If it's not over your teeth and unsupported that would be bad.

If it's not over your teeth and supported that could be good


So what can support it in that case?

Answer = the lip muscles themselves.

However, as a beginner, this means you would need surrisingly strong lip muscles already, and that is not likely, you probably won't have enough stamina there to keep the lip muscle supporting the embouchure for any length of time.

So maybe it's best (or OK) for a beginner to start with teeth spport and work gradually towards lip muscle support.
 
When I first started playing sax about 50 years ago I played lip over bottom teeth.
I'm completely self taught and at the time I thought that was the way you did it.
Many years later after playing reeds that were far too hard and mpcs that were far too open and suffering from painful lips one day I noticed I was playing lip out. Wow - all of a sudden I was in complete control and from then on began to play much softer reeds.
Be careful, don't try to run before you can walk, and don't make it difficult for yourself.
As usual my last line on this subject whether it's reeds, mouthpieces, embouchure:
Saxophone playing is not weightlifting - Just make it easy on yourself -
 

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,263
Messages
576,118
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom