support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

New Zealand ahoy!

So we’re talking Brexit and corrupt politicians and how we the general populace are subject to the whims of those in power always working for big business with a view to joining them after their term of office and us taxpayers left to fill the crevasses they leave behind. Since the whole world seems to have turned that way, especially now, I was thinking it’s time to emigrate. Having passed through 3 countries in the past year: the land of the free, the oldest democratic parliament and ‘paradise on earth’ which were all rotten, New Zealand and her gorgeous PM beckon.
Are you a New Zealander? Please tell me more about your sweet or sour life down under and whether it’s really worth my upping everything to move to a country where the given impression is that the government actually works for the people. All comments welcome.
I love NZ. If I were 40 years younger I’d go and make a life there.
I have friends living in both North and South islands - they’re very different. Visited them just before Covid lockdowns.
Incidentally, not every New Zealander is in love with their PM, and some quite vociferously so!

Unfortunately, some form of intolerance is always present wherever one goes. I guess the best way is to sample kiwi life myself. What would be the best period for a visit? Something like -end of summer- autumn and leave at the start of winter. Since I only need good internet and flight connections to be able to work, would cities be better than rural areas? I'm going to dig more into NZ life and see what other resources the internet and the NZ high commission have. Even the change of scenery will do me good I think. Next year probs.
My NZ mate advised me to avoid January as it’s peak vacation time. We had a great time in February.

When I was working in Hong Kong my boss was from NZ.
His dad bought a farm in the far far north of North Island.
The locals were very perturbed. Maoris with large marijuana farms. They both went to see their neighbours to allay any fears. No probs mate, and we'll be good customers!

I found lots of yacht clubs. Does anyone know of quaint old clubs that sail clippers? And how easy is it to join?

Sorry I wouldn't have a clue about that sort of thing. Generally NZ is more egalitarian than what you'd find in England. If there's a criteria it's more likely to be money (ability to pay) than Class/Family connections. The very English Class expression "your betters" has never had a place here. If you've got a contact E-mail address ask them! Finding a berth may be the most difficult problem. More boats per capita than anywhere else (so I'm told).

In 1974, we played in several NZ cities, coming from Hong Kong, Japan and Australia. All I remember about the country is that the people were the most friendly of the entire tour. We were often invited to be shown around local places of interest. A lot has happened in the ensuing near half-century, so who knows if that's still the norm. On that same tour, the plane was forced to land in Tahiti and we spent 6 hours on the beach while it was replaced. That was the other memorable event on the tour.

1. Not considering itself the center of the know universe or the biggest and best at anything...except rugby.
And sailing! :rolleyes:
In 1974, we played in several NZ cities, coming from Hong Kong, Japan and Australia. All I remember about the country is that the people were the most friendly of the entire tour. We were often invited to be shown around local places of interest. A lot has happened in the ensuing near half-century, so who knows if that's still the norm. On that same tour, the plane was forced to land in Tahiti and we spent 6 hours on the beach while it was replaced. That was the other memorable event on the tour.
I was in Tahiti in 74. But I was 12 years old and only interested in surfing or being in the water, snorkling among the fish!

JT-Surf-751.jpeg

As for music, I was into the local mood:

Back
Top Bottom