All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

new sax= harder to play?

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Subscriber
First of all try a different reed, for now go down to a 1.5 until you get used to a different mouthpiece then if that's ok work up to 2.
If that doesn't work you could get a Yamaha 4C which is very reasonably priced and then work up to your Cannonball mouthpiece.
How new is the Raven,I might be wrong but it's not one of the current range, did you buy from a shop or private sale?
The horn might just need a setup.
I’d try different reeds in a softer level and get a Yamaha 4C mouthpiece. It’s appears to be a quality universal mouthpiece at a reasonable price. When you get better and your embouchure improves go to a higher reed level.

OP
J

john in fla

Hey, Thanks Clive! that was helpful. Ive seen a bunch of his videos... enjoyed them all. I never saw those though.
Thanks again. Im kinda hoping the repair tech finds something to fix tomorrow but if not, I'll keep on keeping on.

OP
J

john in fla

I’d try different reeds in a softer level and get a Yamaha 4C mouthpiece. It’s appears to be a quality universal mouthpiece at a reasonable price. When you get better and your embouchure improves go to a higher reed level.
Thanks Nikki, depending what I find out tomorrow from the tech, Im gonna do just that... try different reeds and get a different MP.

CliveMA

Are there markings on your Cannonball mouthpiece as to tip opening size?
In Sirvalorsax's video his Cannonball is not a beginner mouthpiece but a relatively open 7 (.100 tip opening). He also has a 5J and a C* I think.

OP
J

john in fla

Yes Clive, After looking more closely, and checking cannonball's website I discovered my MP is a CAM 5J with 0.71 opening. I don't really know if its suitable for beginners or not.

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Subscriber
Good luck either way. Finding a suitable mouthpiece is definitely worth the time and effort you.

CliveMA

Yes Clive, After looking more closely, and checking cannonball's website I discovered my MP is a CAM 5J with 0.71 opening. I don't really know if its suitable for beginners or not.
5J is not for beginners. Sirvalorsax has a video on the 5J for Tenor (.085 tip opening). Sirvalorsax likes and uses his on certain gigs so it is a good mouthpiece that you grow into over time. The Yamaha 4C would be a better beginner mouthpiece.

View: https://youtu.be/dt4map1EvXU

OP
J

john in fla

When I pick up my sax tomorrow ill see if they have the 4c in stock. If not I’ll hit up amazon. Thanks for your help.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
0.071" is not a particularly large alto tip opening for a beginner (only slightly larger than a Selmer C*), but it is probably larger than your previous mouthpiece. So it may be OK just to use softer reeds than before.

However, it's not just the tip opening that matters. If the Cannonball mouthpiece has a short facing then it will be harder to blow.

If you can try a Yamaha 4C in the shop tomorrow, and it is more comfortable than the Cannonball mouthpiece, then it would be worth getting, but otherwise I suggest that you buy some softer reeds and see how you get on with the Cannonball mouthpiece.

OP
J

john in fla

Thanks Nigeld ..like I said, I kinda hope they find something wrong and fix it. I was just getting some very odd sounds and squeaks from notes that I played perfectly well on my cheap sax... sometimes my tuner identified an out of tune A while I was playing a D. Other times it was ...well... Lord only knows...

OP
J

john in fla

If you can try a Yamaha 4C in the shop tomorrow, and it is more comfortable than the Cannonball mouthpiece, then it would be worth getting, but otherwise I suggest that you buy some softer reeds and see how you get on with the Cannonball mouthpiece.
[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately they wont even let me blow my own sa in the shop because everyone is required to wear face coverings. I even offered to go outside but they were unwilling to do that. Their only solution was for the tech to check/service it. They did say they frequently need to tweak new saxes right out o the box. We will see...

CliveMA

0.071" is not a particularly large alto tip opening for a beginner (only slightly larger than a Selmer C*), but it is probably larger than your previous mouthpiece
I agree but I was advising based on OP finding he couldn't play it now hence the combo of all that is the Cannonball 5J design (not just tip opening) is not yet ok for OP but he might grow into it because, as you say, it is not particularly large tip opening.

Colin the Bear

A french facing curve will favour a french cut or french filed reed.
An American facing curve will favour a regular or american cut reed.
The yam uses a hybrid and either may suit.

I would assume that the cannonball has an american facing so I'd be trying regular cut reeds. D'addario Orange or Vandoren juno. Maybe a 2 to start with and then see how you go.

Congratulations on your new Raven alto! You're going to have a lot of fun with that sax.

The 5J mouthpiece is very similar to a Meyer 5 and is quite a nice professional mouthpiece. I actually prefer it to everything else I've tried, with the exception of the JodyJazz Jet for situations where I really want to project.

If you're used to something like a C* mouthpiece then you'll likely be more comfortable with a softer strength reed on the 5J.

I look forward to your follow up once you have the Cannonball back in your hands.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom