support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones New range of Gear4music Tenors and sopranos any good?

I bought a nearly new G4M tenor (not TS 1006) with double arms on low C and B key. So far it's ok. I bought it for 2000.00 s e k (c £ 160.00). I was curious how these saxes were playing. I've read good things about G4M saxes. And I also wanted a sax to play when my Martin saxes is too hard for my body. I play Rovner Deep-V (dual chamber, baffle) mouthpieces. I have #8-#10. #8 (0.110") is best for me on the G4M tenor. A #9 or #10 is not playing so well. I guess it's a "set up" thing. IMO it's a bright sax. Something in the style of modern Yamahas.

The latest range don't have the double arms so I'm assuming they are from a different source. The good ones were good but there seemed to be lots of faulty returns and pallets of rejects on ebay. Maybe they got fed up with their supplier and looked elsewhere.

The early stuff from a new source will be their best quality to get the order. Quality usually goes down as the manufacturer tries to cut corners. All that being an assumption of course.

The good news is that you have the 30 day no quibble return policy. So, what have you to lose? If I was looking for a saxophone I'd give them a punt. :confused2:

A friend of mine got one for Christmas and it plays very nicely actually. I prefer mine (Jupiter 700 series, had a long time, plays BEAUTIFULLY) but the G4M wasn't terrible particularly considering how much cheaper it is. Just don't know how robust it will be

Looks like they've switched to a Selmer SA80 II copy.

It could be, as Colin suggests, that they got fed up with the (ahem) quality control from their existing suppliers - but it could equally be possible that they switched suppliers solely to maintain a certain margin.
I tend to find that the Yani copies are better horns (for a cheapo), at least in terms of playability.

A friend of mine got one for Christmas and it plays very nicely actually. I prefer mine (Jupiter 700 series, had a long time, plays BEAUTIFULLY) but the G4M wasn't terrible particularly considering how much cheaper it is. Just don't know how robust it will be

You get what you pay for ! But I think it's fantastic that you can buy a modern sax för this money. But I've seen a som things that may cause me some problems in the future. Keycups that is not centered ...... I'm not going to touch it as long as my sax is playing as it should. And the keywork is also rather advanced. IMO,, not an easy DIY sax.

I do my own saxes. Admittedly the Corton I played for years was a much simpler instrument but the G4M aren't that bad once you get used. I agree with not interfering with an instrument that is playing. Sometimes you find much more than you were expecting. ;)

Does anyone know what the difference in quality etc between Trevor James SR and SR EVO tenors is

I just had one come in for an emergency tweak.
Seems quite nice - a very tidy horn. I only had a chance to have a quick look over it but I would say the biggest difference is probably in the heft of the SR. It's more solid.
But the Evo's a nice blow, and it looks like TJ have tried to bring the RAW's sparkle down the range. It's got more oomph than the other budget horns in the range.

Seems quite nice - a very tidy horn. I only had a chance to have a quick look over it but I would say the biggest difference is probably in the heft of the SR. It's more solid.
But the Evo's a nice blow, and it looks like TJ have tried to bring the RAW's sparkle down the range. It's got more oomph than the other budget horns in the range.

Thanks Stephen, that's really helpful - just need to get myself down to sax.co.uk and try one

Hi, do you mean construction quality is much better on regular SR? Also about tone, response and intonation how do they compare? I’m interested by this SR EVO. Is it a good step up from a G4M tenor old version, especially regarding action? What kind of screws does it use? Thanks.

Last edited:
I was looking at a new sax tried the Alto and found lots of leaks where the pads weren't sitting right it went back . The build Quality wasnt great . I thought for the price it would be better than my cheap ebay unbranded chinese sax but sadly not. I ended up saving up for a bit and getting a yahmaha not looking back. Theres a great place if you want a great sax and its a rent to buy scheme. you can rent treveor James or Yamaha Saxs and at the end of the year if you buy the sax or upgrade to new sax then the deposit and rental fee is taken off the price. excellent service I was very pleased any way uksaxhire

@mick wilson thanks for your feedback and advices :)

@Stephen Howard gave me some advices too, and I’ll certainly go at least for the regular SR and save the money for it. Living in France, I’ll have to make a trip in UK to try some saxes, as here there are not enough choices IMO. For now, my tweaked G4M will be good enough, the SR EVO not being that nice from your and Stephen’s feedbacks.

@mick wilson thanks for your feedback and advices :)

@Stephen Howard gave me some advices too, and I’ll certainly go at least for the regular SR and save the money for it. Living in France, I’ll have to make a trip in UK to try some saxes, as here there are not enough choices IMO. For now, my tweaked G4M will be good enough, the SR EVO not being that nice from your and Stephen’s feedbacks.
I felt that Stephen’s feedback on the EVO was positive and having tried one at sax.co.uk shop I think it’s a decent sax for the money and on my short list to purchase

@SaxMart the feedback Stephen gave me was mostly about action smoothness and build quality, and was by mail. He advices me to save money for something better to really feel the difference with the G4M. I have also to say I played a Yani 880 for 15 years, before stopping playing sax for some years. When I came back, I rented a Yamaha 275, then bought a G4M. Im pretty happy with the G4M (older model) and its tone. It has a nice wide bore, good neck angle, good intonation. Only action and balance could be better, that has to do with sax/player smooth interaction and ease of playing IMO. I’m a firm believer sax tone is mostly about player, then mouthpiece. You have to pay a lot to really have tone refinements via the sax itself. The only sax that I’ve tried in my life and had a superior tone to my 880 was a Reference 36, and I think my G4M has better lower register than my ex 880. So I’ve decided to take the time to buy something really better. Here is a recent recording of mine with the G4M and a Lebayle LRII/Legere Signature setup, I think that sax sounds good for its price really:

Last edited:
I felt that Stephen’s feedback on the EVO was positive and having tried one at sax.co.uk shop I think it’s a decent sax for the money and on my short list to purchase

It is. But when players email me I tend to give more 'bespoke' advice that better suits their individual circumstances.
In this instance we have a player who formerly owned a Yani, then ended up with a G4M - and is now looking to upgrade. As such I felt the Evo wasn't a big enough step up from the G4m (they do play rather well when they're in good nick), and the SR, among others, was the level to aim at.