support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Kraig

Locality
Fremont, Michigan USA
Hi All!! From Fremont, Michigan. Hot summer going here in Michigan! New to this site and blog. Nice to link up with some sax players. I've been playing since 6th grade and saxophone is a huge part of my life. I have played in band, marching band, jazz band, college jazz band, miscellaneous community bands, a gospel group, and currently, in my church praise band. I have an older Selmer Mark VI alto which is an awesome horn. I have a Buffett soprano I bought new a few years ago. Also a nice horn. I have always wanted a tenor but never able to afford one! Maybe once the kids are raised.
I am an alumnus of Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp and the Interlochen Fine Arts Camp.
I don't actually listen to a ton of sax players right now...but I have a lot of great jazz records and CD's I have collected over the years. I am going to begin giving lessons so started searching the web for sax information and found this site. Good to be here!!

Kraig

Hi Kraig!

Welcome to Cafe Saxophone from the Skabertawe 3 Button Soprano Sax Collective (SKABS).
I look forward to your contributions to the Cafe and hope you feel free to ask/share views and opinions with gay abandon.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Kraig

Welcome to the cafe from sunny Manchester I'm sure you'll enjoy your time hear I think you may have made a lot of us very envious when you mentioned the selmer, you certainly did me...john

Hi Kraig, welcome to the Cafe.

Welcome to the caff, Kraig.

ENJOY!

Hi Kraig. Welcome to the cafe. We are not having that much of a summer here right now.

Jim.

Selmer

Hi Kraig

Welcome to the cafe from sunny Manchester I'm sure you'll enjoy your time hear I think you may have made a lot of us very envious when you mentioned the selmer, you certainly did me...john

Really? Now why is that? I know they were at one time considered the best....but I have sorta thought over the years that they had been surpassed by other horns. At one point about 5 years ago I looked up saxophones on eBay and Selmer Mark VI horns were selling at about $1500. There seemed to be quite a few for sale. So I thought maybe they weren't a big deal any more. I love mine. My grandparents bought it for me in probably about 1979 for $400 in Traverse City, MI. I have never even considered buying another alto cause this horn just sounds and plays so great. Paul Desmond would've loved it!! Doesn't look great, but I don't care! Whoever had it before me must have REALLY used it heavily. Lots of lacquer worn off. At one time I checked the serial number with Selmer and found out is was made I think in the early 60's, but I don't recall details now.
I use a Meyer hard rubber jazz mouthpiece and love the feel of it! Thanks. Kraig

Hello Kraig & welcome to the cafe, great to have you aboard. Being American it may take some time getting used to the British sense of humour (& spelling) If your name started with a C, where I'm from (NZ) you'd be a jammy perisher! (variety of Jam)
Cheers
Jimu

Hi Kraig, Welcome to the Cafe ... Have fun here mate ... ;}

Hi Kraig, welcome on board. Good to have some friends from the other side of the pond with us. Excuse my ignorance, you said you started playing in 6th grade. What age is that in the US?
I'm sure you will enjoy the forum, we have a few American friends here. ( by the way where are you Lori? )
Look forward to seeing some posts, Phil :w00t:

Welcome Kraig. You'll have to excuse some of the more obscure humour.
Phil - I've been thinking the same - where's Lori?
YC

Really? Now why is that? I know they were at one time considered the best....but I have sorta thought over the years that they had been surpassed by other horns. At one point about 5 years ago I looked up saxophones on eBay and Selmer Mark VI horns were selling at about $1500. There seemed to be quite a few for sale. So I thought maybe they weren't a big deal any more. I love mine. My grandparents bought it for me in probably about 1979 for $400 in Traverse City, MI. I have never even considered buying another alto cause this horn just sounds and plays so great. Paul Desmond would've loved it!! Doesn't look great, but I don't care! Whoever had it before me must have REALLY used it heavily. Lots of lacquer worn off. At one time I checked the serial number with Selmer and found out is was made I think in the early 60's, but I don't recall details now.
I use a Meyer hard rubber jazz mouthpiece and love the feel of it! Thanks. Kraig

Hi Kraig

Sorry I have taken so long to reply to your comment,and you are quite right in what you say that other makers are as highly regarded these days and opinions of players varies enormously, there is even a great thread running at the moment on this forum about the merits of the mk VI but I still feel they are definately used as a benchmark for others to achieve and better but they always seem to demand top money on ebay in this country and way out of my range at the moment and I think I would have to play it and feel it was really worth the outlay before I parted with the hard earned...john

Back
Top Bottom