support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds New legere - American Cut

But unfortunately, there's advertising there and that's part of their presence as well. And let's face it, most of the world is on it. I recommend getiing people to watch "The Social Dilemma".

Anyway. I'm really enjoying my American Cut. I don't think there is a huge difference for me in playability between it and the Signature Reeds, though I've not played a Signature for a Year or so. I think it is slightly edgier for me, which is fine as I've found my tone has darkened somewhat over the last Year and I can do with a bit more edge every now and then.

Certainly compared with other synthetic reeds (especially the Forestone I tried) the tone with the American Cut is pretty consistent throughout the range of the horn. I found with the Forestone that from G1 above, the tone of the horn changed considerably to the lower notes, then again in the 2nd register. I couldn't control this. The Legere has none of these problems.

Will be interested to see if it develops the tiny fault lines at the tip that I found on the Signature.

Thanks for dragging us back on topic! I do find overtones and altissimo easier on these reeds (sorry if I said it before). The low end of the other Légère reeds was problematic, but it may just be I've gotten better so the American Cut makes it easier is just my imagination.

Thanks for dragging us back on topic! I do find overtones and altissimo easier on these reeds (sorry if I said it before). The low end of the other Légère reeds was problematic, but it may just be I've gotten better so the American Cut makes it easier is just my imagination.

I've taken a step back on altissimo and overtones. Although I was only really starting to pay much attention to them, so I'm sure it won't take long to get back to the stage I was at with Java reeds.

They are obviously very proud of that case...another video..Yeah !!
Well done Legere..

The problem with the case is that if you don't have fingernails it's very hard to open.

There must be a reason why they are now producing a case. I've had maybe 3 or 4 Signatures in the past. I managed to damage the tip of two of them (never managed to do that with a Cane reed). Perhaps they've been getting lots of complaints and returns with such damage and by producing the case they can respond, you clearly didn't use the case. The 'video I posted' ( forgive me Father, for I have sinned ;) ) actually mentions you can clip the reed into the case without touching the tip.

The Company wouldn't go to the expense of making such a robust case without a reason. They turn it round and make it a marketing 'thing'

FWIW I think the addition of the case is silly, so any issues...talk to the manufacture..

Your conjecture could well be the explanation. You're right, it's not necessary, but I like it. You have to be careful to actually take the reed out the way they say and not as if it was the usual plastic thing where you pull the reed up. They are nearly the price of a ten pack of cane, so maybe you want to be protected!

Your conjecture could well be the explanation. You're right, it's not necessary, but I like it. You have to be careful to actually take the reed out the way they say and not as if it was the usual plastic thing where you pull the reed up. They are nearly the price of a ten pack of cane, so maybe you want to be protected!

Oh, I definitely need some protection. A more slimline version would suffice, (though I doubt I would use it anyway ;) ).

Well after my initial disappointment with the American cut Legere I bought in October I stuck with it and have to say I do quite like it now and it seems to have for me anyway, a more robust sound if that’s a good thing? Than my more usual Studio and the thinner sounding (to me anyway) signature.

I still think Legere are having our pants down at £30 a pop but there you go I suppose they have to cover their return policy some how.

Happy Christmas everyone and stay safe.

Legere are having our pants down at £30 a pop
I have no ide"a what they cost to make (mamybe a few cents?) but they last as long or longer than several canes, so I'm good with it. I really like the sound and the feel. I've been using nothing but for weeks, although I keepo trying canes from time to time.

Figured I should chime in - I have had one of these for almost 2 weeks now. Its a pretty great reed... Compared to my Forestone Hinoki, the American cut is a lot less edgy and bright, which I enjoyed. But, I have never liked the feel of the tips of the Legeres. Feels too smooth, almost sharp at the end to me, and I definitely prefer the feel of the Forestone reeds... Sadly though, my Forestone Hinoki tenor reed broke, and I'm using this full time until I decide to get another lol.

Actually, for the (Corona) time being, you don't have to send back your reed you want to exchange, you can keep it our destroy it. That's what Légère e-mailed me.
It's a Covid thing. You used to have to mail them in to exchange them.

Here's an anecdotal data point on reed strengths. I've been playing an AC 2.25 for months and find it feels nice and sounds the way I want it to. Two days ago, I received an AC 2.5 as I wanted to see if it was right for me. I find the AC 2.5 to be easier to blow than a Vandoren Blue of the same strength. My experience is that the stronger reed brings more stability to held notes. That feels right with regard to the physics, stiffer is less easy to move, but I could be way off on that.

As an aside, I also tested another cane reed and broke the first one after two days, when putting it back in the holder. It would be financially tragic to do that with a $32 synthetic!

I have got another AC coming today and I have ordered the 2.25 having played the 2 for a number of months.
With the thought of gigs that maybe coming back in the next few months, I need to start practising more.

I have been trying these Legere American Cut reeds for 2 weeks now. I am still a relative beginner (<2year) on the saxophone, playing mostly tenor, and I was used to Vandoren Traditional 2.5 reeds on a Otto Link Tone Edge 7 mouthpiece.

The YouTuber BetterSax advised to get a Legere Strengh 0.25 or 0.5 lower than the cane you are playing, and mentioned the Legere strength comparison chart can be a bit off. I found that the 2.00 and 2.25 were actually too soft for me, and buzzing, especially with the higher notes. Exchanging those for 2.50 strength was quite easy. Indeed due to Covid you don't have to sent back the old ones at the moment.

The 2.50 Legere American Cut sounds brighter then the Vandoren Traditional 2.5. Although I am not sure whether I like this yet, I do like the consistency and play-ability now that I am getting used to them.

The following is a recording I did a few days ago with the 2.50 Legere American Cut. I learned the melody to the song Max from Paolo Conte by ear using my Aerophone Go and then recorded it with my dirt-cheap Startone tenor saxophone:

View: https://soundcloud.com/jelle-stam/max

Any opinions about a 2.5 AC with a Zephyr alto? I'm using mostly 2.5 and 3 in Rico Royals. Amazon has the 1.75 and the 2.5 on sale right now for $26.99. I'm tempted but not certain. We are rehearsing some tunes requiring hitting C#, B and Bb in the low register and so far, I've managed the C# to a point as I need to strengthen the pinky. I haven't quite developed a love for jazz as of yet and still prefer tamer music, but the directors determine what we play. Was wondering if one of the synthetics would help based on some of the comments here. It's an excellent discussion albeit a year old already. Thanks for all of the information!

Back
Top Bottom