support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

New Jazz Club - Jazz on the Hill

Juju

Locality
London
Hello everyone,
There is a new Jazz Club in South London- Jazz on the Hill. The opening concert is tonight (free entry) Jazz On The Hill , featuring the Damon Brown Quartet. I'll be playing there on Sunday 1st July with my husband's septet as part of the opening celebrations...
Juju

Last edited by a moderator:
Another venue to add to the list, do like a night out at the jazz club.
I may be seeing Damon brown at the 606 in a few weeks, all being well.

Rgds Lee.

I saw Damon Brown about 5 years ago when he was in The Minimum Trio. I just dug out my signed CD - it was a lovely gig at Swansea Jazzland. I hope that it is a real success, the new jazz club! Where is it in South London? I'm staying in Wimbledon in November so could try and see a gig then.

Kind regards
Tom

Not playing at The AECALTC this year, Tom?

It is on the Front Line.

The wife and myself were looking at the usual haunts in a bid to book something in August while looking I had Jazz FM on and caught an advert regarding a place called Boisedales in canary wharf.
So after a scour on there website I would say it's a bit of a posher establishment than the regular cellar based likes of the 606 or pizza express.
Looks like quite a swanky outfit however there pricing structure is £15 for bar standing area, £25 for a table and £35 for a good table with a better view.
The foods not cheap either, with caviar on the menu or diver caught oysters.

I think they are targeting the business gentry.

A quick calculation would put a night out for the good lady and myself in the region of £150 or there abouts, which although not horrific comparing to pizza express or the 606 there's a difference of £60-£70.
Although the night we was planning for our soonest night out on the 14th of July Yolanda Brown is playing and I'd quite like to see her.

Think it's the 606 for me.

Lee.

What a rip off!

In August I'll be seeing Iain Ballamy's "Food" (2pm) and "Trio Libero" (with Andy Sheppard - 6pm) in Brecon Cathedral in the Brecon Jazz Festival. Including a good lunch It will cost a total of about £40 per head.

Yolanda Brown will be worth seeing. She is at Brecon Jazz Festival - tickets £10!
You are showing an intoxicating level of commitment!

Kind regards
Tom

The wife and myself were looking at the usual haunts in a bid to book something in August while looking I had Jazz FM on and caught an advert regarding a place called Boisedales in canary wharf.
So after a scour on there website I would say it's a bit of a posher establishment than the regular cellar based likes of the 606 or pizza express.
Looks like quite a swanky outfit however there pricing structure is £15 for bar standing area, £25 for a table and £35 for a good table with a better view.
The foods not cheap either, with caviar on the menu or diver caught oysters.

I think they are targeting the business gentry.

A quick calculation would put a night out for the good lady and myself in the region of £150 or there abouts, which although not horrific comparing to pizza express or the 606 there's a difference of £60-£70.
Although the night we was planning for our soonest night out on the 14th of July Yolanda Brown is playing and I'd quite like to see her.

Think it's the 606 for me.

Lee.

But what would you pay to see (no food) an act like Clapton, Adele? Or a West End show?

This place is probably OTT, but it needs to be seen in perspective. You don't want to know what I've had to pay for tickets to take my wife to see Martha Argerich later this year.

But what would you pay to see (no food) an act like Clapton, Adele? Or a West End show?

This place is probably OTT, but it needs to be seen in perspective. You don't want to know what I've had to pay for tickets to take my wife to see Martha Argerich later this year.

C'mon Kev, we all want to know........................................;}

the wife and are are seeing Gregory porter in Milton Keynes supported by Jooles Holland next month and that cost £80.

but then thats a one off event, I think these places would do a lot better if they were more reasonably priced.

I for one would go a lot more frequently if the price wasn't so much but £150 for an evening out? I think its definitely the venue and not the act, in these sort of establishments anyway. when you consider what ticket price is being asked for someone like Madonna, last time I looked they were over £100 a ticket to stand in a football stadium half a mile away!

Tom my excursions out have only started since I got the sax (reference my 1st post "lifelong ambition realised"), it all coincided with my children reaching an age that my wife and I were comfitable with my wife's mum looking after them for the evening, basically the wife and I havent been out together on our own for around 6 years! and a job change last year were I now work shifts, which in turn allows me time in my life for the sax.

so one way to look at it is that I have around 6 years worth of going out to fit in! Lol.

£10 to see Yolanda Brown sounds like a bargain.

Lee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Juju
Missed the date but hope it went well.
Jazz on the Hill (ie Herne Hill) is a nice name but Railton Road is not actually on the Hill. In fact it's pretty well flat and low lying - only just above the mostly subterranean River Effra, which it almost crosses.
The road itself has had a chequered history. My grandparents (and my mother before she married) lived there in the 1940s until the house got destroyed by a flying bomb. It was the road where I first heard reggae wafting out of a record shop called Desmond's Hip City, in the 1960s. Later it was the scene of riots and now it has reinvented itself with, hopefully, a good jazz
venue.

Lee, Boisdale's, located where it is does have a particular market in mind, but they do have some good musicians there. Actualy I was round Canary Wharf on Monday having lunch with some old mates. Not Boisdale's but rather the only proper pub left in docklands where they serve decent beer, sausage, egg and chips for £3.60, but the music's not very good (but then I don't go for that!).

YC

Juju
Jazz on the Hill (ie Herne Hill) is a nice name but Railton Road is not actually on the Hill. In fact it's pretty well flat and low lying - only just above the mostly subterranean River Effra, which it almost crosses.
The road itself has had a chequered history. My grandparents (and my mother before she married) lived there in the 1940s until the house got destroyed by a flying bomb. It was the road where I first heard reggae wafting out of a record shop called Desmond's Hip City, in the 1960s. Later it was the scene of riots and now it has reinvented itself with, hopefully, a good jazz
venue.

Lee, Boisdale's, located where it is does have a particular market in mind, but they do have some good musicians there. Actualy I was round Canary Wharf on Monday having lunch with some old mates. Not Boisdale's but rather the only proper pub left in docklands where they serve decent beer, sausage, egg and chips for £3.60, but the music's not very good (but then I don't go for that!).

YC

Now I know your making that up! dont the chips go soggy in a pint of beer! lol.

I dont know a pub that sells beer at less than £4 a pint.

I was only meaning the food prices, Lee. Can't remember the exact beer price but Doom Bar was certainly less than £4. They might do a beer battered sausage, but I suspect the beer addition would be accidental!

The South East does seem very costly, though the London Jazz Festival seems better value. My wife and I go to gigs about 12/14 times a year - last saw Robin Williamson for £8, Juju for £9, Catrin Finch for about £12, Phronesis for £9, Gilad Atzmon for £10 and several others all below £15. Beer at the local Jazzland is just £2 per pint - so all very cheap, really.

The South East does seem very costly, though the London Jazz Festival seems better value. My wife and I go to gigs about 12/14 times a year - last saw Robin Williamson for £8, Juju for £9, Catrin Finch for about £12, Phronesis for £9, Gilad Atzmon for £10 and several others all below £15. Beer at the local Jazzland is just £2 per pint - so all very cheap, really.

Tom it seems like you live in the right part of the country for gigs! the wife and I saw Gilad 2 weeks ago at the Pizza express (although that was our FOC return visit after the very poor evening we had there when we saw Snake davis) but had we paid it would have been £40 just to get threw the door! as it was we dinned there which cost around £35.

id love to find out if there is a jazz gig scene elsewhere, has to be something going on in Cambridge!

Lee.

Juju
venue.

YC
Hi YC,
Gig went well, thanks. Unfortunately we were competing with the European Cup final, so we could have done with some more people in the audience.. It's such a lovely place with nice spicy Caribbean food and great Cocktails :) I really hope they are going to do well.
Juju

Back
Top Bottom