PPT mouthpieces

New guy, need advice for my 10 yr old son

caedenspa

New guy here, need a little help.

Many moons ago I was a pretty decent player, played at collegiate level (marching, jazz, concert). Then as a poor recent grad, a so-called friend sold my horn to feed a "habit". So I didn't have a horn for years.

Fast forward a couple decades, I've picked it back up, and much to my delight my 10 yr old son has started playing as well. He's always begging me to play with him, but both playing the same part kinda sucks. I picked up a beginner book of alto duets, and we're having some father/son fun with that.

He wants me to play duets with him on soprano (me) and alto (him). Anyone know of any beginner level soprano/alto duet sheet music or books?

Much appreciated - gotta keep feeding his love for the sax!

I don't know how common this instrumentation is (I don't have a soprano), but here is an option that might work for you after a fashion. The Rubank Intermediate Method for Saxophone contains some duets which can be played with like instruments or in a Bb/Eb combination. The Bb part is written in smaller notes above the Eb part. For example, "Smoothly Gliding" on page 19 sounds good and shouldn't be too difficult.

I don't know how common this instrumentation is (I don't have a soprano), but here is an option that might work for you after a fashion. The Rubank Intermediate Method for Saxophone contains some duets which can be played with like instruments or in a Bb/Eb combination. The Bb part is written in smaller notes above the Eb part. For example, "Smoothly Gliding" on page 19 sounds good and shouldn't be too difficult.

Thanks! Does the Elementary version also have both Eb/Bb? He's really a rank beginner, but loves it so I don't want to put something in front of him that frustrates him.

You might find some beginner duets for trumpet (another Bb instrument) and alto as well. Probably easier to find than soprano t lower level. Trumpet goes a bit lower so you might have to watch out for the A-G below staff but beginner books should be pretty much C to G at top of staff.

You might find it easier to get an alto as well. Then you'll have a lot of arrangements available and can also swap parts.

Just a thought. Why not transpose a part yourself? Take any one line song book and pick another chord tone. Maybe harmonise a third or a fifth up.

James Rae's "Easy Jazzy Duets" will suit you fine. The book comes with a Bb supplement that allows Eb/Bb duets.
The tune is given to each instrument in turn and they are easy.

In addition, all the songs on here in the Ballad of the Month and Song of the Month come with Eb and Bb scores and backing tracks. Some of them, for instance last month's Ballad, are super easy.

You might find it easier to get an alto as well. Then you'll have a lot of arrangements available and can also swap parts.
I have an alto as well, and he likes it when we play duets on two altos, but he really wants me to play the soprano so "we can be a band". He's ten, to him different instruments equals "a band". Whatever I can do to keep him excited about playing, I'll do!

Also another idea you might want to try. Something I do with my teacher sometimes, one of you 'pretend' to be the bass player and just outline the chords. So, say root, 3rd, 5th say of each chord, and the other one play the melody. Then swap. I find this a good way to get the idea of the song.

I think already suggested is that you transpose one of the parts from the alto duets book that you already have.
If you're not good at transposing, you could write out a chart to refer to (you'll get pretty good pretty quick!) or use some software like MuseScore (free) or Sibelius (which will cost about £100 for the cheapest version!) to transpose the notes automatically.