I think it is a combination of both. I had to rest it for a couple of days for it to get better.
I’ve tried my saxholder pro (which arrived so quickly) and am still getting used to it. Boy, they do make everything for taller people! I had to adjust the string part to the shortest possible level. Thank goodness it was just short enough for me. I’m a pretty average height female so wasn’t expecting that. And they say it’s good for kids too? I hope the string length can be further adjusted; otherwise I’m not sure how shorter kids can use it.
Anyway, I tried all the positions that were suggested by previous posters.
I tried playing standing up with sax in front. This resolved most issues. No pain. Best position for home practice but not for concert band. Best position for the saxholder pro.
I tried sitting down, playing the sax in front, with legs open. I think this is the 2nd most comfortable. I could rest my sax a tiny bit on/against my chair but not all the way because it would then be too high to fit the mpc in my mouth. This is also rather awkward too, as the sax is resting against both legs and is kind of muffled. I’m also scared of scratching my sax on the chair if the chair is not cushioned. Home chair is, concert band practice is not.
I think I won’t play to the side anymore because (1) the saxholder feels really awkward to the side; and (2) I do think the constant twisting of the neck is not good for me. I actually had similar pain happen when I had 2 computer monitors where I was constantly turning my head to the left or right. My neck didn’t like that so I had to go back to only 1 monitor straight in front.
One thing I noticed about playing in front is that the right arm needs to exert some pressure to push the sax away from me. In fact, I woke up with my right arm muscle aching like it had a good workout. Now I wonder if this is normal or not.
How about a tenor? Are tenors played in front or to the side? If to the side, do people also experience the aching neck (to one side) also? Just curious should I pick up the tenor in the future.
I played sax as a kid and did not notice any of these things!!! Is it age? Lol.