Technical Neck length

This enters a situation where, at the end of the day, I doubt one will be able to ascribe the sharpness being the result of just a thin neck cork.
Just so there is no doubt, the sax has two issues. The sharpness is historic. The OP says it has always been sharp for him. The leak happened very recently as a result of a post shifting, and stopped the sax in its tracks.

The neck cork was so worn there was little scope to move it north of fully on without it then falling off (or certainly leaking). Hopefully, with a new cork, the sax will become tunable on the cork, and not at the very end. I will find out tonight...

Chris

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Just so there is no doubt, the sax has two issues. The sharpness is historic. The OP says it has always been sharp for him. The leak happened very recently as a result of a post shifting, and stopped the sax in its tracks.

The neck cork was so worn there was little scope to move it north of fully on without it then falling off (or certainly leaking). Hopefully, with a new cork, the sax will become tunable on the cork, and not at the very end. I will find out tonight...

Chris
Thanks for that. Chis, is the sharpness apparent for you on playtesting it as well, post-new cork ?

Because if so, then there we have our answer....

My mouthpiece is in tune for me just under halfway along the new cork.

The measurement between low F key and its tonehole is 9.1mm - which is higher than my Couesnons, but not as high as my Conn Chu Berry.

The lower stack key heights are set by felts stuck to the body, which will have compressed, so initial key heights will have been lower.

I'll see how it plays for the owner and can fiddle with key heights if need be. It is easy to test various heights, using thin strips of stacks of post-it notes.

Chris

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Cool, so it looks like from the perspective/playtesting of Chris the Sax Player, the sharpness issue will be alleviated.

Back in the hands of its owner.....hopefully as well.

sax panther

Subscriber
I'm sorry to say that Chris has failed, as you can see from the attached tuner screenshot I am a whole 1 c sharp..... :D

Chris got it back to me at a rehearsal tonight, I was going to squeeze in a blow between work and a concert tomorrow, but couldn't resist having a cheeky play when I got home tonight. I shoved the mouthpiece on about halfway down the (shiny new) cork, slapped on the first reed that I found, deliberately didn't do my usual embouchure adjustment, and my tuning woes are over (across the range, not just that one note). Can't wait to give it a blast on a gig, but as my next tenor gig isn't until November I'll have to record a song of the month effort next weekend instead.

Chris has also fixed leaks on my bell notes so the low notes are lot easier than before, and the whole action feels much smoother.
Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 22.15.10.png

So what have I learned...Chris J is a genius (more a reinforcement of existing knowledge than a new piece of info), my neck cork was much more worn than I thought it was, and some older saxes have longer necks, which is interesting, but wasn't the cause of my problems! I didn't immediately think of the cork as being the source of the problems as I've seen plenty of other players with the mouthpiece pushed on really far...but for me, halfway seems to be the right place.

Top Bottom