support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

My Transcription of Hank Mobley's "The Turnaround"

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
This is a transcription that I did in 2015 of the head and Hank Mobley's tenor solos on his tune "The Turnaround" which I really like.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y520DrkiPs

turnaround.png

You are welcome to download the transcription and please let me know if you find any errors or have suggestions for improvements.

The transcription is just for your personal use and study, but if you enjoy it, you could make a voluntary contribution to Pete Thomas' charities.

DONATIONS HERE

Rhys

Download PDF for full transcription below.

Attachments

• The Turnaround - Small Band with Transcriptions V3b - Hank Mobley (Tenor Sax).pdf
    74.7 KB · Views: 431
Last edited by a moderator:
Great job with the transcription. Hank Mobley is such a great player, with a great sound and shows good taste with his playing.

It was fun and interesting to do the transcription. Hank Mobley is very fluent and inventive, with a great stream of phrases that sound really musical and also a structure to the choruses. Very different from "running changes" or a continuous flood of quavers.

On the original recording the sax is panned hard over to the left channel and the trumpet to the right channel. That helped with the transcribing process, but it also means I can make a good backing track with just the right channel in mono and try to play along with the band.

Rhys