support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces My main Tenor Piece is....

My main tenor piece of 6 months + is.......

• Metal with a high baffle 0.110" or above

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Rubber, acrylic e.t.c. with a high baffle 0.110" or above

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Metal with a high baffle, less than 0.110"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rubber, acrylic e.t.c. with a high baffle less than 0.110"

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Metal with a low or roll over style baffle 0.110" or above

• Rubber, acrylic e.t.c. with a low or roll over style baffle 0.110" or above

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Metal with a low or roll over style baffle, less than 0.110"

• Rubber, acrylic e.t.c. with a low or roll over style baffle less than 0.110"

• I don't have a main piece

• Total voters
RPC 115B in my case. Fabulous, ended 20 years of mouthpiece GAS

I'm on a Rovner Deep-V 40D #8. Plays very well with Rico Plasticcover #5.

Thomas

RPC 105 with, hopefully, a PPT when I've got me new glims.

:verysadLife is very hard for us pensioners:verysad

:blush:All donations gratefully received:blush:

Lawton 8*BR which has been tidied up by Lawrie Waldron and is an absolute humdinger and flexible too.

Lawrie also did me a copy of it, but without the Lawton's "Reflector" baffle which is a little pit excavated immediately behind the tip rail and which takes out some of the shrillness of high baffle pieces. His piece is just as good, which has got me baffled (!)

Rhys

A SaxScape Red River 112" with a 2 step bullet baffle similar to a Berg Larsen, refaced and fine tuned by Brain Powell prior to me buying it- on a whim- on sax on the web....

Let me know what a Otto Link 7* ToneEdge is and I'll vote. Tip opening is over 110thou but no idea what baffle, sounds very nice though..

Vandoren Java T75 (HR) which is 0.109", I thought it was 0.105" until I just looked it up. (Medium-long facing) if that means anything and looking at it I'd say it was a rollover baffle, either way I like it a lot.

Chris

That was interesting. I had to look up all sorts of things regarding my Otto Link Super Tone Master with 7 opening.

I now know that it has a 0.1 gap and a straight baffle (which I'm assuming equates to a 'high' baffle in as much as it is not a roll over. I learnt a lot from the investigation.

if you also want to look these things up try:

http://www.theowanne.com/mouthpieces101/baffle.php

The site is promoting Theo Wanne mps's which I had never heard of until today.

Cheers

Martin

Let me know what a Otto Link 7* ToneEdge is and I'll vote. Tip opening is over 110thou but no idea what baffle, sounds very nice though..

Hi Fred,
Unless your 7* has been modified it should be around 0.105 and a roll over baffle.

Vandoren Java T75 (HR) which is 0.109", I thought it was 0.105" until I just looked it up. (Medium-long facing) if that means anything and looking at it I'd say it was a rollover baffle, either way I like it a lot.

Chris
Chris,
I think you're right about the roll over, yet if it's anything like my alto A45 it will do most of the things high baffle pieces do in terms of brightness.

That was interesting. I had to look up all sorts of things regarding my Otto Link Super Tone Master with 7 opening.

I now know that it has a 0.1 gap and a straight baffle (which I'm assuming equates to a 'high' baffle in as much as it is not a roll over. I learnt a lot from the investigation.

if you also want to look these things up try:

http://www.theowanne.com/mouthpieces101/baffle.php

The site is promoting Theo Wanne mps's which I had never heard of until today.

Cheers

Martin
Martin,
I would class otto link as roll over, high baffle pieces typically have a steep drop or bullet shape into the chamber.
The link just has a little 'bump' directly below the tip rail hardly noticeable on some pieces.

OG
Roll over i guess?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm on a Rovner Deep-V 40D #8. Plays very well with Rico Plasticcover #5.

Thomas

Hey Thomas they build 'em tough in Scania land, you must be able to crack a walnut with those chops?!

I'm a mere STM 7* NY with a Vandoren 2....

Geoff

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Thomas they build 'em tough in Scania land, you must be able to crack a walnut with those chops?!

I'm a mere STM 6 NY with a Vandoren 2....

Geoff

And a friendly looking lap dog:D

I use a Jody Jazz DV NY 7* which has a low baffle and 105 tip opening. I use a Marca Jazz no 3 reed.

I'm a mere STM 7* NY with a Vandoren 2....

Geoff

I forgot, I use baritone reeds on my tenor mpc.

Thomas

If you want to let the RPC,105 go when you have your PPT, do let me know.

Many Thanks

ManEast