support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Multiple Horns, MP Caps and Playing Live

Yes, that's what I think as well.

On many mouthpiece caps there are a big hole in the top of the cap. Why? And they are also oversized. Probably so they are not damage the tip of the reed.

The best way to avoid reeds from drying out on stage between songs is to use cling film/plastic wrap. That would probaly help from drying out a reed. ;)

The player can also drink water between the songs. That helps up.

I know a player that use 3-4 reeds during a gig. Some reeds that are soaking water.
View attachment 20316
I just put the mouthpiece in my mouth every few minutes for whatever horn I'm not playing. Not sure how manageable cling wrap would be since outdoor gigs can also be windy.

As for your 3-4 reeds/gig guy, I can imagine our conversation, "My reeds usually last about a month, how about yours?" "Oh, about 15 minutes. And I like 'em nice and water logged too." Then during the show, at the start of every tune, "Just give me a minute, I have to change reeds", as the band/audience leaves.

After reading this thread, I've decided to cancel my son's car insurance. I just have to tell him to not have an accident.

'Cos it's cheaper to make them that way.
Sure. Two caps with big holes. These Berg Larsen caps are great. Good protection for the reed.
caps.JPG

I just put the mouthpiece in my mouth every few minutes for whatever horn I'm not playing. Not sure how manageable cling wrap would be since outdoor gigs can also be windy.

As for your 3-4 reeds/gig guy, I can imagine our conversation, "My reeds usually last about a month, how about yours?" "Oh, about 15 minutes. And I like 'em nice and water logged too." Then during the show, at the start of every tune, "Just give me a minute, I have to change reeds", as the band/audience leaves.

After reading this thread, I've decided to cancel my son's car insurance. I just have to tell him to not have an accident.
You're probably right. A player like Sax Gordon must use a cap while he is singing or talking.
View: https://youtu.be/vzNG092wmjM

I usually wear a shirt with a pocket, sometimes a waistcoat over the top. Hook up the horn, cap in the pocket. No problem. Stand the horn and slip on the cap. Sometimes stood up. Sometimes sat down.
The pub gig, interval is the problem. Folk want to have a conversation across the Bari. I always interrupt. :fingerwag:

I only use Legeres these days so have dispensed with caps on stage (one less thing to worry about)

I am uncertain if it helps, but I use caps for the horns (during gigs).
Of course, the only time that I have cracked a reed tip is trying to put the cap back on. Perhaps, I should wear my readers at gigs.

.... and then we have the Selmer metall sort of cap. So impractical. To protect the reed, mouthpiece or to prevent the reed from drying????
sclassic.JPGsclasictva.JPG

What I do, when I'm playing a gig with a bunch of doubles, is to put a little piece of wet paper towel in each cap to keep the reed humidified. At the end of the night you just rap the cap smartly on the floor and pick up and throw away the little wad of wet paper.

All my saxophones use Rovner ligatures which have a closed-end cap.

It has occasionally happened that I've damaged a reed with a cap, but given the general world on the bandstand I'd rather risk that than leaving all my reeds out there for someone (or me) to inadvertently snag.

There are a lot of people out there with very poor situational awareness; the kinds of people who'll snag their foot on a cable and just keep walking, oblivious to microphone stands crashing down behind them. These people often also have very poor "proprioception" which means the sense of where the limits of one's body are. So they're just the people who would walk too close to my horn on a stand and either knock it over, or snag the reed on the side of a loose fitting shirt, and just keep going.

.... and then we have the Selmer metall sort of cap. So impractical. To protect the reed, mouthpiece or to prevent the reed from drying????
View attachment 20390View attachment 20391
Used one for years. Loved it and never had a problem. Retired it now. I found it so much easier to use than sliding a cone over the end. Looking at the price they go for on ebay I should sell it on.

On, you never know when somebody walks by the horn and the sleeve accidentally hits the reed, I just saw it happen last Saturday night and the guy got off with a black eye but he had his clip on mic On and it sounded really nasty

There are a lot of people out there with very poor situational awareness; the kinds of people who'll snag their foot on a cable and just keep walking, oblivious to microphone stands crashing down behind them. These people often also have very poor "proprioception" which means the sense of where the limits of one's body are. So they're just the people who would walk too close to my horn on a stand and either knock it over, or snag the reed on the side of a loose fitting shirt, and just keep going.

You triggered happiness and sadness simultaneously because I am one of those people.
I'm clumsy, so that may be my problem.

This is the best mouthpiece cap. A big and "roomy" cap that is easy to put on off. It don't ruins the reed and gives reed and mouthpiece god protection as well. It's the cap the came along my Rovner mpc with Ed Daniels lig.
edrov.JPGedrovII.JPG

Used one for years. Loved it and never had a problem. Retired it now. I found it so much easier to use than sliding a cone over the end. Looking at the price they go for on ebay I should sell it on.
Cool but very impractical.

Back
Top Bottom