support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Mouthpieces and tuning

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Locality
brighton by the sea
I've been tinkering a bit with my mouthpiece collection over the last few days. I've also been being good and playing long tones with a tuner in the spirit of musical machismo. Now- some 'pieces are certainly easier to play in tune than others, I'd previously always thought that the main reason for this was tip opening, but in fact -I've not found this the case- certain mouthpieces, made by respectable makers, are simply harder to keep in tune for me, on my set up, than others.
Reasons- Ok, there's my personal blowing technique, chamber sizes, baffle configuration, strength of reed and it's general health. Anyone else studied this slightly vexing area....?
Kudos to Mr Thomas- the PPT 7* (with Vandoren V16 3s) has the cleanest intonation & easiest tune-ability of the lot!

Reasons- Ok, there's my personal blowing technique, chamber sizes, baffle configuration, strength of reed and it's general health. Anyone else studied this slightly vexing area....?
Kudos to Mr Thomas- the PPT 7* (with Vandoren V16 3s) has the cleanest intonation & easiest tune-ability of the lot!

Many thanks.

I think the main reason for ease of intonation (provided there is no saxophone/mouthpiece bore mismatch) is the balance, quality and in tuneness of the harmonics produced.

This may or may not equate to the sound you want/like of course.