support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpiece Shank Bores & Neck Cork

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
This may be a really, really stupid question, however...

Due to playing in various bands these days it's becoming obvious that using more than one 'piece would be a good idea for both practical and musical reasons.

At the moment it would be helpful for me to swap between a V16 and a Jumbo Java. The only problem is the shank bore on the Jumbo Java is smaller than the V16. The question is, would using the Jumbo crush the neck cork so that the V16, which is my main 'piece, becomes loose?

The shank bore difference isn't massive - a few tenths of a mil - but it is different and if the Keilwerth is like the TJ Classic, then the Jumbo sits higher up the neck cork, too.

Due to playing in various bands these days it's becoming obvious that using more than one 'piece would be a good idea for both practical and musical reasons.
Do you mind me asking what those reasons might be?
The question is, would using the Jumbo crush the neck cork so that the V16, which is my main 'piece, becomes loose?
Probably.
It interesting (and boring and frustrating) that a single manufacturer can't even standardise within its own product lines.

Do you mind me asking what those reasons might be?

Sheer volume (the Jumbo is much, much louder) and/or harshness (depending on the band). Blowing a Jumbo loudly should negate the need to growl quite so much.

It interesting (and boring and frustrating) that a single manufacturer can't even standardise within its own product lines.

I've been wondering if I can get the bore reamed slightly to make them both the same.

Sheer volume (the Jumbo is much, much louder) and/or harshness (depending on the band). Blowing a Jumbo loudly should negate the need to growl quite so much.
I'd use the Jumbo all the time then.

I've been wondering if I can get the bore reamed slightly to make them both the same.
I wrapped some tape round the inside of one of mine when I had this problem.

I'd use the Jumbo all the time then.

My V16 is perfect 95% of the time. With the Keilwerth it can scream the highs and make my shed rumble when I play right at the bottom. I really don't want to go back to the Jumbo full-time.

I would do the opposite. Applying a layer of epoxy inside the wider one so it fits right like the other.

Interesting but I don't think I'll try that. Too much to go wrong and I'm not sure about JB Weld in a mouthpiece, either.

I have been installing these for customers who use different mouthpieces with good results.

Interesting. I can only find one supplier in the UK but that could be a simple solution.

I'm sure there was someone on here a while back who'd opened up the shank bore on a hard rubber mouthpiece using fine grit sandpaper wrapped around a wooden dowel - it'd be easier to open one of them up a little bit that try to line one of them with epoxy to make it smaller which would also involve some sanding to smooth out the epoxy

Interesting. I can only find one supplier in the UK but that could be a simple solution

I bought mine off eBay, here. Not sure the seller ships outside of France but you may ask.

I'm sure there was someone on here a while back who'd opened up the shank bore on a hard rubber mouthpiece using fine grit sandpaper wrapped around a wooden dowel - it'd be easier to open one of them up a little bit that try to line one of them with epoxy to make it smaller which would also involve some sanding to smooth out the epoxy

That's debatable, as a wider bore is not as flexible in terms of tuning. When it gets loose pulling it out, what can you do?

So the Valentino might be the better option.

The part that goes on the cork is slightly tapered, so its shaped like a cone. You would have to be very careful to select a good starting size so that you dont make a little "wall" by only being able to sand so far down, or if using epoxy, to maintain the taper. Ajusting that dimension could (not actually sure if it would, I've never adjusted a mouthpiece) change the way it plays or make it fit even worse.

Unless something is lost in translation, all mouthpieces are tapered to match the conic (not comic as the spell checker corrected) corked end of the neck.

So obviously, any modification to they bore MUST be aligned with the original conicity of the bore. We hen you apply epoxy, you try to do it as evenly as possible to keep the shape but ads material and reduce the diameter by the value of the added material. So unless you do it rather heavily, it should not end up in any massive corruption of the mouthpiece. I did it a few times and it only improved the situation... In fact, I should repeat the process on at least a couple of mouthpieces to be where it should be. It's not exactly pretty, but nobody knows, but (Jesus) you. :w00t:

I'm not preaching any solution, just reporting that what I did (epoxy bore reduction) works.

I think I would bore the one out before I narrowed the other. and to bore it out, i would use a tapered sanding dowel probably. the truth is most mouthpieces are actually worked by hand after they are made and perfectly. only lately have they gotten into fully machined mouthpieces that are not.

Back
Top Bottom