supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

M/Pieces - Ligs Mouthpiece recommendations:

Hassles

here comes my 10 cents: IF your MP plays OK stick with it for the moment, If you're unsure of it's playability ask your tutor to play-test it. A Yamaha 4C is one of two universally recommended MPs for students because they are made with very good quality control and they are easy to play - both things you need. Bonus - they are also affordable. Added bonus - they are also pretty tough. The other equally recommended MP is the Selmer S80 C - the cons: more expensive, less tough.

I would suggest strength 2 reeds at max and move up a strength if and when you can justify doing so. I doubt you're in a position at this stage to appreciate the difference characteristics of various MPs and until such time as you can your investment may be a waste of your money. IF you can, try to play every MP that comes your way - borrow those from your sax playing friends who can in turn play yours. If you're gonna' do this have some strength 1.5 and 2 reeds at your disposal coz' sometimes a MP ain't so great with a 2.5 but tames with a 1.5 or vice versa - to offer you an example.

OP
Shtormy

Shtormy

So, I went with an Otto Link Tone Edge 6S. Love it! It’s comfortable to play and my projection is greatly improved. As an added experiment, I’ve also been bouncing between my Rico reeds and some Vandoren Java green box, in a 2.5. I plan in getting one of those sampler packs they make to try their other reeds. I definitely like how I sound a lot better.

Top Bottom