support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Mouthpiece crackle With Legere reed

Royston

Hi
I have used Legere Signature reeds with alto with no problems but have now changed to tenor as my main horn. Being really pleased with both the consistency and tone on the alto and major issues with cane reeds on the tenor I decided to go for the Legere Signature again. Consistency and tone still good but got this crackling sound emanating from the mouthpiece.
Anyone any ideas bar constantly sucking the moisture out. Yuk.
Regards
Roy

I don't think it is spit, or condensation even. It used to happen a lot, as I get more experienced it happens less, seems to happen mostly now when I have a break from playing. So basically I think it's just a weak embochure that causes it.

I don't think it is spit, or condensation even. It used to happen a lot, as I get more experienced it happens less, seems to happen mostly now when I have a break from playing. So basically I think it's just a weak embochure that causes it.

You could be right as only just changed to playing the tenor. Playing just mainly alto before.

Hi
I have used Legere Signature reeds with alto with no problems but have now changed to tenor as my main horn. Being really pleased with both the consistency and tone on the alto and major issues with cane reeds on the tenor I decided to go for the Legere Signature again. Consistency and tone still good but got this crackling sound emanating from the mouthpiece.
Anyone any ideas bar constantly sucking the moisture out. Yuk.
Regards
Roy
Did you take it out of the wrapping paper?

I realise you are used to playing a Legere on your alto, but I find that on the Bari, it needs to be very accurately, centrally, placed, otherwise all sorts of issue occur when playing.
Could that be an issue here?

I realise you are used to playing a Legere on your alto, but I find that on the Bari, it needs to be very accurately, centrally, placed, otherwise all sorts of issue occur when playing.
Could that be an issue here?

Hi Mandy
You're possibly right as I've repositioned the reed closer to the tip and made sure of accurate centralisation and it has played much better today. Also I think my embouchure is improving day by day.
Cheers
Roy

it needs to be very accurately, centrally, placed, otherwise all sorts of issue occur when playing.
I agree with this but it isn't the whole answer. I play tenor with Legere reeds and get crackle problems. Usually removing the reed and wiping it sorts the matter our, or if there isn't time to do that, a sharp suck sometimes works. If all else fails, the crackle soon vanishes of its own accord.