support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Missive from the southern hemisphere

dooce

Locality
Daventry
Hello Possums

Some of you might remember that me and the lovely wife set off on our Great Adventure last September, leaving behind a bari and a tenor, and clutching the only sax remotely suitable for international travel, i.e. soprano. We started in Hanoi, worked our way right through Cambodia and across to Phuket in Thailand before flying to Australia.

Well, right now we are in a place called Central Tilba, in NSW Australia, and moving on shortly for a week in Melbourne before we hop over to Christchurch and a couple of months touring NZ. After much agonising about how to transport the little screecher, it has done all our flights as hand baggage in a Will & Tom case with no problems at all. Doesn't even register a flicker of surprise as it goes through the airport security scanners!

To be honest, the sax hasn't had as much exercise as I had hoped. I've kept up a reasonable level of practice, but that's not always easy, especially stopping in hotels. I've had some great jam sessions, notably with a lovely Phillipino bloke in Dalat, Vietnam; on the back porch of a house in Townsville Queensland with a superb guitarist; and most recently, at a karoake session noodling drunkenly over a couple of C&W standards with a mate who had never sung in public before. Probably best forgotten, that one.....

Great though the trip is, home-sickness is starting to kick in, and so is missing playing in a band. I've got a gig booked 4 days after we land back in the UK in April, and I can't wait, even though my (very small) sensible bits are telling me that it will have been 7 months since I last played tenor and bari and 4 days is not enough time to get back up to speed.

Good to see you are still chewing over the same old ****e on the site - some things never change!

See you in April.

Good to hear from you. Have been wondering how thigns were going, what with the floods, politics and so on. Good to hear that you're having fun. Musta admit I'm mildly envious (well, rather more than mildly...).

Are you going to look up Jimu in NZ?

G'day Dooce (Bill) ..... and Kev,

Nice to hear your heading for Christchurch soon,...I am myself this week and will be checking out the World Busking Festival in Christchurch, it runs from the 19th to 29th Jan.
I haven't visited Chch for a few years, used to live their though, my sister who is badly affected is still awaiting to hear if they can fix their house or build a new one on their land, which has sunk 12 inches in the middle of the section. They are still getting size 5 quakes on a regular basis, so it will be an interesting trip! Apparently Christchurch is in some places unrecognizable (the city centre)

I intend to do some pirate busking while down there, so should be a good place to try out a few new ideas!

Hope your still intending to visit the Nelson area Dooce and Wife, we still have a room waiting for you!

Ps Just checked out your Blog.... I think we will have allot to a talk about....if you get here?...... hope you make it???

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimu, yes mate, we land in Christchurch 4th Feb so will miss your busking festival - sounds hilarious!. I would reckon we will be up around Nelson at the end of Feb, but as soon as we get to NZ I'll get a phone sorted and let you know the number.

Great blog! Great pics! Tastefully done.

I only went for a quick nose but became a real fly on the wall.
Fantastic stuff.....brilliant.

I'm pretty sure that's illegal in NZ.

Andy

Illegal is all right by me.... I was told that twice yesterday, once when I tried busking at the World Busking Festival in Christchurchs Hagley Park & fairly vigourusly shown the exits (and this is billed as a free to get in event) as I was not registered.
So I walked into one of the rare parts of the city rebuild after the recent earthquakes, tried busking up the alley ways.... Illegal #2.
I eventually busked in the open part of the mall

Dooce and any other international illegal buskers are welcome at Jimu's place in NZ.

Cheers & ciao
Jimu

"Together We Create Beauty"

Glad it's all going well mate, don't "do a Jimu" and break something important just as you get to him!

Back
Top Bottom