support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Minor to major mode ....

RiceBag

Dear forum people,

When playing, say in a Major key, one can shift to its Relative minor key, and that's the same scale notes, pretty much. It's called a Relative shift, I was told here.

And, when playing in Major key, and one shifts to the same key in minor, that's called a PARALLEL shift, I was also told that here.
However, I was having a lot of trouble figuring out chords for a song. Then I found that, when playing in a Major key, a shift DOWN of 3 semitones, and playing in THAT resulting MAJOR key was the way that resolved my difficulties.

So, may I ask, what would that shift be called, for it does not seem to be Parallel nor Relative?

(I think it would not be a relative shift because, from a Major key, one goes down 3 semis to play the resultant minor key, while in the case in question I still go down 3 semis, but instead play the resultant key as Major, instead of minor).

Thanks everyone!

However, I was having a lot of trouble figuring out chords for a song. Then I found that, when playing in a Major key, a shift DOWN of 3 semitones, and playing in THAT resulting MAJOR key was the way that resolved my difficulties.

I think you are going to have to post the specific example, I'm not aware of this being any kind of normal procedure as in many cases it would be wrong.

Thanks Pete,

Hi and much thanks Pete.

I found out about the situation, and it's not right, just as you say.

The problem comes from a song that has it WRONGLY harmonized in Parallel, whereas ultimately it should be Relative shifts from minor to Major and viceversa.

Since I was transcribing to a different key alltoghether for vocal, my results were wrong.

I found that when so wrong, even though it is playable and sounds OK in the keyboard, it's not OK for vocal. It becomes very difficult to sing it, when so wrongly put.

So, when I fixed the part by shifting the Major part, I was not yet realized that the magazine I was using was wrong, to begin with. I confirmed this by downloading the audio song from the web.

I am resolved, but I still have another question, for information only, and will put it in another post tomorrow.

Thanks as always!

PS. I just went and checked for the chords in the web and found it. Guess what? It's also got it incorrect as parallel. They probably used the same magazine? I think errors like that cause people to sing badly?