support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mid Life Soprano Dream

Another thought. I am finding my right thumb is hurting after a time on the straight sop will a curved help with this? I was reading somewhere about people with alto's or tenors and the same problem so not sure it makes a difference my tutor suggested a different neck strap to help.

It could also be that you're pressing the keys too hard. Had the same problem with my tenor, but it went away after I repadded it and no longer needed to force the keys down to get a good seal.

I certainly can't remember this experience. With regard to curvies i have never been aware of this - it is very light and compact. I use Rico straps - the best being the padded one - available at about £18 or so ( www.rapidreeds.com are post free). As BigMartin says, it is all about finding a comfortable position, but also about developing a tolerance to playing a sax such that your body adapts.

Kind regards
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I only have a straight sop and have never tried a curved I would think the curved would be a lot more comfortable to play because it allows the hands and arms to be held lower and nearer to your body in a much more comfortable position...john

It is, very much so in my opinion, and experience.............but if, as suggested above, sopranos are often played by Tenor players then they maybe have the muscles and bodybuilding quality to cope with this, even if their embouchure needs some adaptation.

It is, very much so in my opinion, and experience.............but if, as suggested above, sopranos are often played by Tenor players then they maybe have the muscles and bodybuilding quality to cope with this, even if their embouchure needs some adaptation.

And they can use the same music....cheapskates or what!!!!...only joking lads:))):))):)))

Thanks, have been looking at their website and will be making a trip. Another thought. I am finding my right thumb is hurting after a time on the straight sop will a curved help with this? I was reading somewhere about people with alto's or tenors and the same problem so not sure it makes a difference my tutor suggested a different neck strap to help.

Jx

It is quite common on all Saxes not just the Soprano. It took me a few months to settle down and relax with my playing.

As for playing the straight Soprano I really found it much easier not to have a strap whilst playing. The strap hindered more than helped! I did struggle initially but within a few days it became natural.

Hi Jeanette, and welcome to the forum! Now you know what happened to the Muppets......:shocked::w00t:;}

Just to recap:

1. Sopranos are easier tp play than some people believe.
2. Don't boil ebonite mouthpieces.
3. Stick with a Rico Royal 2 reed until you need to change.
4. Curved sopranos are pretty ..... girls like them................:crying:
5. Take everything with a pinch of salt.
6. Take your time over a different mouthpiece.
7. Enjoy your sax playing, but play with a frown on your face.
8. Ignore the Muppets!

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Hi Jeanette, and welcome to the forum! Now you know what happened to the Muppets......:shocked::w00t:;}

Just to recap:

1. Sopranos are easier tp play than some people believe.
2. Don't boil ebonite mouthpieces.
3. Stick with a Rico Royal 2 reed until you need to change.
4. Curved sopranos are pretty ..... girls like them................:crying:
5. Take everything with a pinch of salt.
6. Take your time over a different mouthpiece.
7. Enjoy your sax playing, but play with a frown on your face.
8. Ignore the Muppets!

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Amen!

Happy blowing,

Kermit :cool:

Hi Jeanette.

I'm waking this thread up again as you seem to be the most recent total beginner before me. Leona from California too maybe, but she hasn't been here for a month.

How are you getting on?

I admire you for sticking to your first choice of soprano. I wanted the tenor but followed all the advice that everybody started with the alto. So I bought a reasonable (read cheap) alto and hopefully will splash out on a good tenor after Christmas if all goes well.

I recorded myself over on soundcloud after messing about for a week and before my first lesson. I'm going to do it again after a month and hopefully I will hear a difference.

Good luck, I hope it's all going well.

I think that it is misguided advice about starting on Alto, and has been a subject discussed several times in the Cafe. They are all separate instruments apart from having a similar look and similar keywork. I am another who started on soprano. Too much advice in musical circles is based on old ideas about what to play as a youngster. Alto was thought to be better than Tenor because a youngster may not be able to carry a Tenor, and the soprano was thought too difficult to play. As an adult learner these issues do not matter that much to be honest. Motivation is such an important thing it is important that you start playing what you actually want to.

Tenors are heavier, but some are lighter than others and there are various good straps available which provide very good support - allsorts of harnesses and shoulder straps, not just neck straps which can be less supportive.

Kind regards
Tom

Oh that hindsight thing.

I do like all sax sound (okay maybe not mine too much - yet) and I am very motivated, so it's no biggy.

Actually, I'm concerned I'm turning a little 'odd'. I'm trying not to bore everybody around me by banging on about it.

:sax: :crying::crying::crying::crying::blush: .......... whatever..............

If anything, the bigger saxes are easier to play, so learning on alto and moving up to tenor isn't that difficult, so no harm done in learning on alto.

Actually, I'm concerned I'm turning a little 'odd'. I'm trying not to bore everybody around me by banging on about it.

Occupational hazard I'm afraid. Keep your eyes open for the 'glazed' expression.

Another sop starter here. Elton Dean's fault in this case. 40 years ago next year. I've only ever owned 2 though - a Buescher True Tone and the Yanag S6 that I've had for nearly 30 years.

welcome to the club
Im looking frward to how you find the sop` while i learn the tenor.
Allansto

Hi Jeanette.

I'm waking this thread up again as you seem to be the most recent total beginner before me. Leona from California too maybe, but she hasn't been here for a month.

How are you getting on?

I admire you for sticking to your first choice of soprano. I wanted the tenor but followed all the advice that everybody started with the alto. So I bought a reasonable (read cheap) alto and hopefully will splash out on a good tenor after Christmas if all goes well.

I recorded myself over on soundcloud after messing about for a week and before my first lesson. I'm going to do it again after a month and hopefully I will hear a difference.

Good luck, I hope it's all going well.

Hi Saxy

Sorry for delay in replying. We are touring Scotland at the moment and I have only just got my hands on a computer. Must buy notebook for travelling. Sax is progressing slowly, partly due I think to a change in tutors and different styles of teaching but I am pleased with it. Must admit I am a bit worried how much a 2 week break will impact on progress. (hubby wouldn't let me bring it with me in the motor home... think the dog would have walked too!!::shocked:)

Hope you are still enjoying yours.

Jx

I have found that an occasional enforced break (eg no front teef!) can actually help, as you come back to it with new enthusiasm.
I also think one's brain sometimes needs a bit of 'time off' from a complex subject, to allow it to 'process and rrecord' what you have learnt .... it's a bit like going to the gym every day, which is often less productive than, say, 3 days a week! (Personally I prefer not to go at all!!)

Back
Top Bottom