support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Michael Brecker Q&A

OiGoier

Locality
At the moment - Redditch, Worcestershire
Last edited by a moderator:
i met him once in hamburg germany...i thought he was arrogant and "up himself"
i loved his recordings and playing live,but when i met him,it changed my mind about him....
i also met quite a few others that weekend,and brecker was the worst of the lot...
but,we all have bad days/nights.....
i also loved steve coleman 's playing until i met him...same thing so arrogant and up himself...

anyways.life goes on and there are bucket loads of great saxophonists....
cheers,philip

Oh no! What a shame.

I guess great jazz minds sometimes have trouble communicating socially and maybe it was an off day or maybe he was a complete arse!

I must admit that my opinion of Miles Davis was changed when I found out what a grumpy, rude and chauvinist guy he was. Still...he played with such beauty. Maybe that's the good in them that comes out? I still love listening to him even though I probably wouldn't want to hang out with him.

Thanks for that

yes,it is interesting how people are,how we communicate,and how we are perceived by others....
on the same night i met brecker,i met herbie hankok,very sociable ,....john scofield,sociable but a very grumpy man, and don alias,very nice man who i chatted with for a while and he invited me to look him up if i was ever in newyork......
same jazz festival ,but a different day,i met branford masalis ,who,got me into the festival for free,(after chatting with him through the fence,got me back-stage to his gig,with the "buck-shot le-funk band",and invited me to join him on stage as i had my soprano with me.....
had champayne and ate food with him before the gig....i did decline to play,as i was pretty rough player then,but i would do it now....

anyways,its amazing what a difference we all are in our persona's.....

hope you have a great day/night...
cheers,philip

I dont see how your opinions about someone's playing can be changed by their social demeanor. It's great music or it isn't. I played for a New Zealand band leader for whom the loathing was mutual. At my last gig with him I said that I thought he was a **** of the first order. He replied that he felt exactly the same and that if I ever returned to NZ there would always be a job waiting for me with him! We made good music together and were able to maintain a productive working relationship despite the social gulf between us. I've played with others with whom I got on really well without ever making the best of music.
Miles may have seemed a grumpy man but he used to invite the band back to his place after gigs and cook them dinner.

I read somewhere that Stephane Grapelli looked down his nose at Django Reinhardt for being a low character. I don't know if anyone else can provide any information on this?

The guitarist Pete Berriman once told me a yarn about Django being loaned a house in Paris by some rich dude who, when he eventually came to use it again found that it was somewhat in need of repairs owing to floorboards and furniture being used as firewood...

A sailing acquaintance of mine had a similar problem when he loaned his house to his brother, who put the blame firmly on my pal for not making sure there was a sufficient supply of coal laid on.... I rather gather that he made amends for this oversight retrospectively by his use of inflammatory language...

I think if you idolise a certain player then your opinion can be changed by their manner. However, they still make beautiful music so that's good in my book. I think it's great that you can play music with someone you don't get on with. I find it very difficult and often hire musicians that I get on with. It's interesting how personalities come out when soloing. Egos are tricky beasts to battle.

I can't imagine miles cooking dinner himself but if I was invited I would have probably gone (probably just to get stoned).

Thank you. Work in progress. It's a fine line between giving people something they want and trying to earn a living as a musician. Thanks for the feedback

yes jay,thank you too....
looks like you are getting some work and having some fun....
enjoy it all....
the brecker videos you listed were back in the mid eighties,probably he was a much less jaded man then,and more friendly,but i don't really know,i only met him once....
anyways,thanks...
philip

i met him once in hamburg germany...i thought he was arrogant and "up himself"
i loved his recordings and playing live,but when i met him,it changed my mind about him....
i also met quite a few others that weekend,and brecker was the worst of the lot...
but,we all have bad days/nights.....
i also loved steve coleman 's playing until i met him...same thing so arrogant and up himself...

anyways.life goes on and there are bucket loads of great saxophonists....
cheers,philip

Its unfortunate that you had that experience. All the stories I've heard are that he was a super nice guy.

I guess we can't be perfect all the time, eh.

yes,i know i am human!!!!!!!......not perfect and far,far away from that .....
anyways,life goes on for the living and i hope that i am a bit more friendly when someone out of the blue talks to me....
cheers,philip

As a young 6'2" 220lb rugby playing biker, I found people were allways polite and friendly. As a bald, plump, saxophonist approaching pension age, less so, apart form octogenarian ladies who I seem to fascinate.

mmmmmm,it does,but do you know what it means,and why didn't you just tell me?
i have grown up in australia,and english is the language spoken here,i wasn't listening at school,so i learnt most of the language in my early twenties....if someone spoke a word i did not know,i asked them....
most of the time,the person could not explain...
i also lived with a dictionary very close to me for a few years...
in the end,asking and looking,i found out most....
but i have never heard of that word...
cheers,philip

Back
Top Bottom