support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

making my sax into a lamp!

C_Claudemonster

Formerly saxgirl22
hi all, I have a question! How do I turn my FE olds parisian ambassador into a super lamp?
I picked it up from my tech today and the report was not good on the instrument. I purchased it off eBay over a month ago. I paid 100 GBP and he said I have been ripped off on it. The keys were so badly bodged and soldered that there were things not where they should be if at all! He has done a great job on cleaning it up and amazingly making it play again, but the tone is terrible and it has been suggested I move it on in this honest condition. The low Eb is so badly corroded that it will wear and will no longer be able to function. I wasn't charged for the work as the instrument was that bad and won't last. But have to say even though the tone is rough it does play at the moment! My mum has taken pity on the poor ugly thing and would like a centre piece at home as a lamp so I wondered if anyone can give me some pointers. I don't want to undo the hard work and hours that have been put into sorting this sax so wondered if there is a way around it without hurting it further. It would seem a shame to move it on as it's got a bit of a story to it now and could be a nice vintage jazzy piece!
Looking forward to some replies :)

Hi,

If you are serious about turning it into a lamp, my best advice (as an electrician).......make sure it is properly earthed ;}

I will do! my dad's a sparkey so I should be ok with earthing it etc. if I ask for some help, which I will do! I have been thinking about it though and I don't want to be disrespectful to all the hard work that has been put into making it a fully functioning sax. I doubt I will get a return on it so making into a lamp is all well and good as long as there is a way to avoid making it unplayable. :)

Too bad. I guess it's a French stencil? They didn't make me happy. I traded some but I could sell them at a very low price. They were farily playable.

If your're going to make a lamp out of it, you'are in good company!! Here is a curved soprano as a lamp.

View attachment 830

Thomas

Never did it with a sax, but here's my Albert system clarinet lamp. (And George. He got upset that I didn't mention him, so I had to edit this post) Albert System Lamp.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I will do! my dad's a sparkey so I should be ok with earthing it etc. if I ask for some help, which I will do! I have been thinking about it though and I don't want to be disrespectful to all the hard work that has been put into making it a fully functioning sax. I doubt I will get a return on it so making into a lamp is all well and good as long as there is a way to avoid making it unplayable. :)

You say you doubt you will get a return on it but why not just put it back on ebay?
It's working and just been 'serviced', if nobody buys you've lost nothing if you list it in a 'free' week.

Saw just that in a rastro here, and guess what, it was priced at 100-00 (euros though). The crook was removed and the bulb holder bit was somehow stuffed in down the hole in the end (sorry to get so technical) and I guess the wire must have been out of a hole in the bottom of the bell. It was brazed or soldered onto a stand and they had done something to distress the finish. I really liked it but at 100-00 euros I thought it was an expensive lamp. I would do that though, if I had a sax to spare. The one I saw was an alto and it really was a smashing lamp. Go for it, its only money.
Mike

I remember reading on an American website for vintage saxophones about a selmer mk VI being turned into a lamp, they had drilled through the bottom bow and put the wire through. The picture was entitled 'what idiot did this'- They repaired it and it still sold for $1200.

Sorry I couldn't find the site

regards

Dave

Back
Top Bottom