support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

lubrication

allansto

Hi fellow sax drinkers (cafe saxophone) .....get it !!!!!!
Ive got a question on key lubrication
Assuming that I practice everyday for about an hour!
How often would or should i use lubrication oil on my sax Keys.
once a week once a month or ?
I apply it with a toothpick as i find the oil runs nicely down the stick and into the fine areas
and pivots that it needs to.

Is this something we need to do? I've used my alto, about 5 hours a week, since November. It doesn't seem affected. Never considered oiling the keys and pivots.

Sunray get's oiled regularly ...

I am the only thing in this "old house of mine" that needs "a regular oiling" ... :w00t:

But I have trouble getting the single malt to stay on the cocktail stick - so I use a large glass ... :)))

On topic ... Surely you have a man to do that sort of thing ... :mrcool

I do mine every couple of years, although having said that, I've never done my alto and that's about six years old and never been serviced, but then again it has half the work load of the tenor.
I think if you start to hear clancky type noises, or it just doesn't seem as smooth as it should, then give it an oil.
Don't forget that dirt and grime can build up on the rods, so IN MY OPINION it's not a bad idea to unscrew the rod, remove it clean all the gunk off it, then using a pipe cleaner clean out the inside of the keys (just the bit where the rod goes) oil with nice clean gear oil and then reassemble! Simples!

I hope I don't get shot down in flames by The Griff'ster!

Hi fellow sax drinkers (cafe saxophone) .....get it !!!!!!
Ive got a question on key lubrication
Assuming that I practice everyday for about an hour!
How often would or should i use lubrication oil on my sax Keys.
once a week once a month or ?
I apply it with a toothpick as i find the oil runs nicely down the stick and into the fine areas
and pivots that it needs to.
With moderate use like yourself i would think about 6 month's, i always use a fine brush to get behind all the rods and post's before i oil. It help's to keep it clean and tidy.