support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Lubricating the horn

Schrödinger works too (sort of) - it's impossible to know whether the oil has reached the middle without opening the tube. In fact there could be a whole ecosystem in there that may be dead or alive.
Yes you're right - I should have kept quiet and just left it at Schrodinger... I was thinking of the "can't observe something without altering it" thing, which I think was Heisenberg. Or a combination of the two: If you put too much oil on something without looking then if it's a cat it might be dead.

-schrodingers-cat-.jpg

I read all of this thread, and watched the video, and scoured through the Haynes Saxophone Manual and t'internet, but I'm still not sure what, if anything I should do to my new 1 year old Yani.

I have done absolutely nothing to it so far. I have neither added nor removed any oil.

Should I just add a bit of oil at the joints, or dismantle, clean and replace the oil?

I've dismantled and reassembled saxophones before, so I have no problem doing that myself, but I obviously don't want to do that if it's not really needed. I'm not taking it to a tech because here in Switzerland the cost of labour is very high, and it's something I could do myself.

Yanagisawa use grease to lubricate the action - and while this has its pros and cons it at least tends to stay put.
Because your horn is only a year old I'd recommend applying a very small amount of oil to the keys...perhaps half a drop here and there.
I'd save the strip-down until the horn needs a proper service.