• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Beginner Saxes Looking to hire a sax

Well done. Have you found a teacher?

Thanks 🙂

I have been looking but haven't booked that all important first lesson yet. Was emailing with one teacher but haven't had a reply to my latest email (which answered the questions he posed), which I thought was a bit weird. My plan is to ring the phone nr I have for him on Monday and try and set up a lesson with him. There is another guy not too far away from me. So if this one doesn't work out I have another one to try.
 
A little trick after you mount your mouthpiece with the reed put the mouthpiece again your hand palm and suck.. yes, suck... that suction help reed to seal against the mouthpiece... I remember Mulligan doing that before play with Piazzola on the '80...
Good luck with your new acquisition! I started with my new Gilmore and happened the same.. half scale sounds decent, half like a cat dying... Patience and practice!!

I think I understand what you mean... will try it next time.
 
One thing I have learned today is that at the moment at least I need to take the mouthpiece in my mouth in such a way that I can feel the curve, if that makes sense. Managed about a half hour before my mouth started aching.

If you mean that your top lip is touching the place where the beak of the mouthpiece curves up to the body, then you have got the mouthpiece much too far into your mouth.
 
If you mean that your top lip is touching the place where the beak of the mouthpiece curves up to the body, then you have got the mouthpiece much too far into your mouth.

Actually I don't think I worded that very well. I was talking about my bottom lip. I know that there isn't a curve on the bottom of the mouth piece. I think what I am trying to say that I found I need to hold the mouthpiece in my mouth in a certain way. I am taking just about 1cm of the mouthpiece in my mouth.
 

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,261
Messages
575,990
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom