Photo contest

Saxophones Looking for Tenor Saxophone (inexpensive)

13sixty9

I am looking for a relatively good new or used (because of budget) Tenor sax, for intermediate player and not too pricey (the Rand not exactly best currency), i am in South Africa so it would have to be shipped.

Thank you,

This is embarrassing i know, but thought along the lines of 250-300 + still have to factor in the shipping, and currently rand to pound is 17.31, so probably not the best time to be doing exchange rate purchases. it was 13/14 to the rand not too long ago. basically if i could keep it under 350 incl. shipping that would be ideal. it is better to the dollar which is only 10.31 so that would be a lot more feasible, and would get more for less.

This is embarrassing i know, but thought along the lines of 250-300 + still have to factor in the shipping, and currently rand to pound is 17.31, so probably not the best time to be doing exchange rate purchases. it was 13/14 to the rand not too long ago. basically if i could keep it under 350 incl. shipping that would be ideal. it is better to the dollar which is only 10.31 so that would be a lot more feasible, and would get more for less.

Maybe i should just save up some more, who know the Rand may improve by the time i have a decent amount to spend too :)

Have been checking all our second hand websites such as gumtree, www.olx.co.za, etc will keep checking though, if i do come across something again, would appreciate it if i could run the quality by you.

thank you again for all your help and feedback.

I had a look on chris's link. Of what's there I'd stick to yamaha, Selmer, Jupiter, maybe the king. Be careful, there's at least one alto labelled as tenor, and some look a touch ropey. Budget for a check up at a sax tech. If you can play test before buying.

thank you everyone for all the advice, you have all made me (newbie) feel very welcome and great to find a place that responds to question almost immediately, i have taken it all on board and decided to hang on and save some more bucks before making a decision, @ProfJ, not sure you meant me or Kev with regards to moving to Blighty, if it was me i just got back from the 5 years ago, after living there for 8 years, and i am now home to stay, missed SA too much. :)

have a great day all... will keep you posted on future purchase.

I do play a bit, used to play in a jazz band in Cape Town, many moons ago, and i used to own an alto Selmar Brevsgdg No 383098 Engl.pat no 11824 which i ended up selling before i left the country, which i regret to this day (when i see what they are worth today). I just thought i would like to try my hand at the tenor this time.

Back
Top Bottom