All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones Looking for Tenor Saxophone (inexpensive)

13sixty9

Locality
South Africa
I am looking for a relatively good new or used (because of budget) Tenor sax, for intermediate player and not too pricey (the Rand not exactly best currency), i am in South Africa so it would have to be shipped.

Thank you,

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
What is your budget? How much are you looking to spend? £500?

13sixty9

Locality
South Africa
This is embarrassing i know, but thought along the lines of 250-300 + still have to factor in the shipping, and currently rand to pound is 17.31, so probably not the best time to be doing exchange rate purchases. it was 13/14 to the rand not too long ago. basically if i could keep it under 350 incl. shipping that would be ideal. it is better to the dollar which is only 10.31 so that would be a lot more feasible, and would get more for less.

13sixty9

Locality
South Africa
This is embarrassing i know, but thought along the lines of 250-300 + still have to factor in the shipping, and currently rand to pound is 17.31, so probably not the best time to be doing exchange rate purchases. it was 13/14 to the rand not too long ago. basically if i could keep it under 350 incl. shipping that would be ideal. it is better to the dollar which is only 10.31 so that would be a lot more feasible, and would get more for less.

Maybe i should just save up some more, who know the Rand may improve by the time i have a decent amount to spend too :)

13sixty9

Locality
South Africa
Have been checking all our second hand websites such as gumtree, www.olx.co.za, etc will keep checking though, if i do come across something again, would appreciate it if i could run the quality by you.

thank you again for all your help and feedback.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
I had a look on chris's link. Of what's there I'd stick to yamaha, Selmer, Jupiter, maybe the king. Be careful, there's at least one alto labelled as tenor, and some look a touch ropey. Budget for a check up at a sax tech. If you can play test before buying.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich

13sixty9

Locality
South Africa
@colin, they are roughly same distance, @kev i hear you am a little worried about that too. really think as i said before i should just save a bit more and hold out for something better.

thank you for replies

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
You could always come and live in blighty. Crap weather and no jobs but cheap saxophones lol

13sixty9

Locality
South Africa
@colin, sounds like a plan, will have to run that by the family :) although you could also send me one...;)

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
@colin, they are roughly same distance, @kev i hear you am a little worried about that too. really think as i said before i should just save a bit more and hold out for something better.

thank you for replies
The king looks good, and I think it's on budget.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
My word! Kevin..are you nocturnal? Great advice above from the members. When are you moving to Blighty?

13sixty9

Locality
South Africa
thank you everyone for all the advice, you have all made me (newbie) feel very welcome and great to find a place that responds to question almost immediately, i have taken it all on board and decided to hang on and save some more bucks before making a decision, @ProfJ, not sure you meant me or Kev with regards to moving to Blighty, if it was me i just got back from the 5 years ago, after living there for 8 years, and i am now home to stay, missed SA too much. :)

have a great day all... will keep you posted on future purchase.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
You could always rent one if it is economically viable. That will get you started and give you some experience...or get a teacher first?

13sixty9

Locality
South Africa
I do play a bit, used to play in a jazz band in Cape Town, many moons ago, and i used to own an alto Selmar Brevsgdg No 383098 Engl.pat no 11824 which i ended up selling before i left the country, which i regret to this day (when i see what they are worth today). I just thought i would like to try my hand at the tenor this time.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom