All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
ArtistWorks

Saxophones First tenor

botahoratiu

Hi. This would be my first post here, so please be gentle I am an amateur trumpet player from Romania and recently felt being drawn to the tenor saxophone. My question is what tenor to buy in the following circumstances: $250 (200€) budget, used horn, no saxophone related knowledge (yet). I can choose between the following: Amati Classic Keilwerth Model 3 Keilwerth "Student" Weltklang, Markneukirchen Klingenthal Any othe suggestion? Thank you very much Best wishes from Europe Horatiu

georgesax

Subscriber
would you consider this?
this has been recommended to me earlier by a very respectable member of the Cafe. you might be able to find a second-hand horn which should be within your budget. But I have to say that I am new player too. I have very limited knowledge. But I would say, you would not go wrong with Yamaha YAS 280, which is very good. I played Yamaha YAS 280 alto sax. Good luck with you searching.

OP
B

botahoratiu

Tks, but a Yamaha would be too expensive for me at this point. I already found a Luxor Solo tenor in bad shape and plan to get it in working condition by myself. ;)

randulo

Playing alto 25 months
Subscriber
Tks, but a Yamaha would be too expensive for me at this point. I already found a Luxor Solo tenor in bad shape and plan to get it in working condition by myself. ;)
Good luck on your new voyage into saxophony! As you may already know, if you need help with repairs, there are several professionals who kindly donate their time here and share their knowledge.

OP
B

botahoratiu

In the meantime, I also found a Buescher Aristocrat 200 USA tenor. Are these ok horns? It is in very nice used condition, for about 340€.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
I think in this instance we need to be aware of the OP's budget as well as their location. There are a good two dozen or more saxes which would be appropriate, reliable Tenors for a beginner...but it appears Bota has certain limitations as far as budget and (somewhat) local/regional availability.

So, Bota - ANY of the saxes on your list (Amati, Weltklang, Keilwerth, Buescher Aristo 200) would be appropriate beginner Tenors (or better) PROVIDING the SELLER guarantees it to be in good playing shape.

So any of them would be respectable.

It is still unclear what "Keilwerth Model 3" means, exactly. There was no such model name made by Keilwerth.

People referring to vintage models have often added labels such as "Type I, II, III" etc to differentiate changes which occurred over time to one particular model. But this was not done by the company; just by later aficionados.

For example, although there is no Keilwerth Model 3, the New King models are often typically referred to as New King Type I/II/III....

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
If it plays, buy that one. It's some sorta Tone King or New King....excellent horns.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
OK. Well.....grrrrrr...too bad because that sax is worth probably $1200 USD if cleaned and put into playable condition. It might cost around $400usd or so (?) to put it into that good condition (I am not sure, I do not know what repair techs charge in Romania).
But I know you do not have that money :(

It would be a great investment project for someone, however.

So again, IF you have under 300€...you HAVE to buy a Tenor which the seller guarantees is in playing condition, I would suggest.
So, as I said - NONE of the saxes on your list are BAD, Amati, Weltklang, late Buescher, JK "Student" (although THAT one I do not believe was made by JK, but subcontracted to another company - but I have seen a few on eBay) all are decent...so choose the one which the seller guarantees is in good playing condition (and if you get it and it is NOT, have an understanding with seller that you can return the sax for a refund).

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
You are welcome. You are NOT in an UNCOMMON position - a beginner player wanting their first horn but with very limited funds.

So most of the saxes you will come across which are inexpensively priced are NOT going to be in playing condition.
MANY first-time buyers fall into that hole...they initially think they have gotten a very good deal only to realize soon after that the money they must invest to get their sax playing decently is MORE that what they spent on buying it.

If you weren't so far away I would help you out, as I can, on occasion, whip up a Tenor in the $250-300 range for somebody - not a pretty one, but playability will be 100% up to par.

Unfortunately, shipping to Europe makes such a possibility...an impossibility.

But just keep asking sellers the right questions....you will find something.

Also do you know of anybody local to you who is a sax player ?

OP
B

botahoratiu

Not really. I have a friend in my church who is also learning, but alto. I have borrowed an alto as well, but the sound I have in my head is tenor. I think I will manage all the tinkering necessary to get it in playing condition by myself. I hope so, because I also repaired a lot of brass instruments in our brass band. That would be quite a project, wouldn't it?

OP
B

botahoratiu

That's some work on my Getzen Eterna trumpet. I know that woodwinds are something else, but... I can try.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Nicely Done, looks very good. Nice and clean.

Sax servicing is a whole different beast however . Trumpets and trombones those are very straightforward, only so many things can really go wrong with them. Saxes are more temperamental.

This is why you should try hard to find one which needs no work done to it. The cost of buying the proper tools and materials alone just to disassemble and replace, say, 4 pads...is going to be over $100 easily (and no one cannot really substitute 'hardware store' tools for tech tools...it becomes like trying to hammer in a nail with a rock instead of a hammer....

The body stuff, no huge deal as long as it is minor (small dings, etc) and not large dents or the tube being out of plumb (bent) or neck being pulled down (although even neck pulldown is pretty easily corrected).

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Top Bottom