support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Looking for a new top intermediate/semi-proffesional tenor sax-any ideas?

Saxodude

Hi Everyone

I'm new to the forum so would firstly just like to say hi to everyone on here and I'm really looking forward to becoming part of this community.

Getting to the point. I'm going to be buying a new tenor sax which is top intermediate/semi-proffessional so it will be a decent horn and will last me a long time.

I quite like the look of the Trevor James SR Tenor sax as it seems to be a really nice flowing horn with a big punchy sound, but also some softer tones when needed. I've watched this video of it from a link from the Trevor James website and it sounds great!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/TrevorJamesSax#p/u/36/3RL6EAdz8ss

I wondered what your opinion was of this sax and whether you think it is worth getting. Or you might have some other ideas.

Looking forward to the replies.
Thanks
George

Last edited by a moderator:
Loads of horns sound good in recordings. There's a link to a clip of Wayne Shorter here playing a Bundy. So you can see it's more about the player than the sax.

You really need to try some saxes yourself and see if they work for you. AFAIK there's nothing wrong with the TJ though.

There is one on Preloved - exc condition and going for £500. Otherwise available for £600+ from various retailers including Sax Heaven in Oxford. I play BW on soprano - superb, one of the best under £2000 ) costs £600+

Kind regards
Tom

A bit of advertising!

My tech - Richard Hamer - is a professional player and teacher. His Conn 16M Tenor Sax is for sale for £550 - he can be contacted on
www.woodwindsalesandrepairs.com where the sax is listed under "Used Instruments" Apparently it is mostly identical to a Conn 10M and is in exc. cond.

Worth a look and maybe a chat - it would be serviced before any sale.
Kind regards
Tom

with all due respect.........pre 1963 16M (or directors) are not half bad horns but they are not 10M by any stretch of imagination.

Bauhaus Walstein must be the best new horn for that kind of money on the market, if you find a second hand one it is probably even better!

With all due respect I have it on good authority that the 16m horn differs from the 10m principally due to the keywork - the tubing is the same - unless you do not have access to SOTW. I agree about the BW tenor, which is why I mentioned where it was possible to get hold of a used one.

I quote a person way more knowledgeable than me and many others about this,SAXISMYAXE, he is a member here too but the quotes are from SOTW

".............
That is incorrect. The 16M Director's model is based on the PAN AMERICAN body design (also owned by C.G. Conn), not the 10M.
Do a search on this site and you will find this horn discussed at length, both by myself and many others.

Yes, and he is incorrect, along with a few other facts he has posted on that site. With all due respect, I trust you don't believe EVERYTHING you read face value without doing more in depth research yourself. The Director's model horns are based on the Pan American body designs that they superseded as Conn's intermediate line of horns C.1955.
To quote are own Pete "Saxpics.com" Hales site:
This model appears to have been officially called the "Director" model by Conn (1), although it is commonly called the "shooting stars" model. It is an "updating" of the 1930's Pan American model (similar keywork, bore size, etc.), and these models, the 14 and 16M, are two of the few intermediate models I picture on this website.
The idea that the 16M is the "poor man's" 10M is incorrect, in spite of this sales pitch being used by a number of vendors. The two horns are different designs altogether save for their common Conn LTD. heritage. ........."

This is also what Pete Hales says on saxpics

".........This model appears to have been officially called the "Director" by Conn1, although it is commonly called the "shooting stars" model.
The Director is an "updating" of the 1930's Pan American model (similar keywork, bore size, etc.). This is an intermediate model and was marketed and priced as such......."

Last edited by a moderator:
I quote a person way more knowledgeable than me and many others about this,SAXISMYAXE, he is a member here too but the quotes are from SOTW

".............

This is also what Pete Hales says on saxpics

".........This model appears to have been officially called the "Director" by Conn1, although it is commonly called the "shooting stars" model.
The Director is an "updating" of the 1930's Pan American model (similar keywork, bore size, etc.). This is an intermediate model and was marketed and priced as such......."

But what bore and taper was the Pan Americans tenor (no rolled toneholes) based on? A construction made for Pan American by Conn? Most secondline production was a way to get rid of leftovers and old inventorys. I think a Pan American bore and taper is based on a 10M, but don't ask me which. There was a big diffences on 10M over the years.

I think a Conn Shouting Star can be a good sax, if it's correct priced.

Thomas

Back
Top Bottom