support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Lomax Classic Soprano mouthpiece

BeBopSop

Hi all, just thought I would give you my comments on the Lomax Classic M ebonite MP. (made in USA) I have tried about 10 different pieces now, but to be honest I still stuck to my Yamaha 4C, and thought if there was a MP that could improve on its sound and performance I would get it! Well I tested the Lomax all weekend (poor dogs ears) and think its great! It is a very round, smooth, dark sound, and all the low notes are easy to play and sooo smooth, it can play loud or soft, and the altisimo notes are ready available and sound nice also. The intonation seems ok, so this is my favorite (untill it can be improved upon) I got it from Howarth UK, on trial....so have to pay for it today £93.90 (special offer.)
John
PS I am a big fan of Steve lacy, and this piece is the one that gets me closest to his sound/tone
PPS the tip opening is 1.36 (not sure what this is in metric,anyone know please?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, just thought I would give you my comments on the Lomax Classic M ebonite MP. (made in USA) I have tried about 10 different pieces now, but to be honest I still stuck to my Yamaha 4C, and thought if there was a MP that could improve on its sound and performance I would get it! Well I tested the Lomax all weekend (poor dogs ears) and think its great! It is a very round, smooth, dark sound, and all the low notes are easy to play and sooo smooth, it can play loud or soft, and the altisimo notes are ready available and sound nice also. The intonation seems ok, so this is my favorite (untill it can be improved upon) I got it from Howarth UK, on trial....so have to pay for it today £93.90 (special offer.)
John
PS I am a big fan of Steve lacy, and this piece is the one that gets me closest to his sound/tone
PPS the tip opening is 1.36 (not sure what this is in metric,anyone know please?)

Good to hear! Did you try a PPT?

1.36 is probably millimetres. Somewhere between 53 and 54 thou. or .053" -> 0.054".

Ah. I usually regard altissimo as starting above the keyed range of the particular sax - so on yours that would be above G. It's not easy on sop.

I understand Nick, I dont think I will be going up there for quite a while.A mate of mine who has been playing in and around Worcester for years now,comes round to my place and we play to the play along books and I get tuition of him, he gets up there on his saxes ..... just squeeks, he has showed me these wierd fingerings to get up there, but I have to concentrate on more normal practice!
regards John

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear you got a setup you are happy with.
Altissimo will come in time but its not as important on the soprano unless you want to call all the dogs around Worcester to your home.
Yanagisawa IMO make some of the best sops on the planet.

Brian

Back
Top Bottom