support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Ligatures Ligatures for Sop

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Café Supporter
Locality
Cheshire UK
Well I've not bought anything sax related for a while and I've noticed the screw on my current lig feels a bit odd when I tighten it so perhaps time to think about a new one.>:)

I know you'll have lots of great suggestions

Only criteria is not too fiddly to put on and take off and not silly prices.

Current set up in signature

Thanks in advance guys and gals:)

Jx

Rovners are cheap and easy. Most of my mouthpieces that don't have their own ligs have Rovners.

Thanks Nick, my current one has been fine do you think the ones with plates add much?

Jx

my all time favorite ligature, which I am now using both on metal tenor and on Ponzol HR Vintage 70 soprano, is the same Brancher ligature that Pete uses on his new solid silver mouthpiece.

I had bought two one together with my tenor Brancher mouthpiece and another one to go on my Ponzol Alto.

Well, the Brancher was not good on the Ponzol alto because the fit was to loose so I decided to experiment with this to replace the less than satisfactory, rovner-like, ligature with which the Ponzol came.

I cannot be happier!

The Brancher is very secure, balanced, doesn’t turn or slip, and fits the mouthpiece as a glove. Has one screw and doesn’t hurt your hands if you should try to reposition it (which I don’t do too often these days).

Yes, I admit, it is not very cheap (but also not crazily expensive) and they are not too easy to find secondhand.

The Selmer one screw at sax.co.uk is only £17.50,never tried one but a good price.

Thanks Nick, my current one has been fine do you think the ones with plates add much?

Jx

No. Unless you're a true believer.

My only experience of Branchers is on my Brancher sop mouthpiece. It works fine on that. I've never thought about buying one separately.

I wouldn’t have thought of it if I wouldn’t have had one already that I had bought with a different purpose in mind (using it on the Ponzol M2 alto). I have often had to experiment with ligatures like using a Pure Brass Francois Louis for HR soprano on my Ponzol M1 tenor ( was good, but like all Francois Louis, was slippery and difficult to reposition) or using an Inverted tenor Vandoren master on a Trocasero HSM alto mouthpiece.

Not that slippy actually. I thought they would slide but they are actually very good. A little flashy in looks but it really works well for me I feel. I don't gig however (not good enough) so I am not sure whether it would start to slip over an evening's use.

Vandoren Optimum, which I use on SAT. Although quite costly they are well made, sound good, hold secure and are easy to adjust.

You should check the fit of the soprano Optimum as it doesn't fit all hard rubber mouthpieces.

Rhys

PS Save some money and get the plastic cap rather than the metal one.

Well my new lig arrived today. I splashed out and bought a Rovner Versa in the end:).

Does it make me sound any better........It'll take more than a lig to do that but I am finding it easier to play quietly, a blessing for the rest of the household;)

Jx

Well my new lig arrived today. I splashed out and bought a Rovner Versa in the end:).

Does it make me sound any better........It'll take more than a lig to do that but I am finding it easier to play quietly, a blessing for the rest of the household;)

Jx
I have a sneaking suspicion your household will be quietly enjoying your playing

They don't like it in mine. Too Loud amongst other complaints. They much prefer the tinkling of the Joanna, even done badly

I have a sneaking suspicion your household will be quietly enjoying your playing

Unfortunately not the dog howls or whimpers, all doors are closed and telly turned up. Less complaints now son is away at uni though.................maybe one day;)

They don't like it in mine. Too Loud amongst other complaints. They much prefer the tinkling of the Joanna, even done badly

You just need a Rovner Versa lig :)

Jx

Unfortunately not the dog howls or whimpers

Dogs do that

Our mutt will lie in apparent slumber until I rise up to the altitudes on tenor and then she cannot help herself but howl in apparent pleasure (Je anthropomorphise ou quoi?)

Your soprano is right up there in the canine ecstasy zone so no wonder Fido wants to join in

Give 'em more of that which they crave!

Last edited:
I tend to practice more on my soprano than any other sax. Maybe because it is small and normally resting on a pillow on the sofa but the dogs have never made a noise when I play. They are trans fixed if anything!

Back
Top Bottom