PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Legere signature tenor (again!)

Hi @Pete Thomas when do you think you will be getting any of the signature 2.75 back in stock please?

This is just a one clearout of reeds I've had hanging around, not something I'll be selling on a regular basis.

Last edited:
the legere studio tenor arrived today, I gave it a good 3 hr workout. Not bad. It’s the first time I’ve ever tried a plastic reed. My first impression was the missing taste of cane and the usual work required to get a new reed type to perform. So far, and note that this could all change tomorrow, the legere is not consistent across the range, the top is sweet and the bottom muddy, and the response to breath and tongue is slower than my current choice, the Van Doren traditional. Nevertheless I will get a signature to try out.

Synthetic reeds need playing in, just like cane. From force of habit you will probably find yourself licking synthetic reeds before use. Don't tell anyone!

3.5 in Légère is quite hard, as far as I can tell. Probably more suited to classical closed mouthpieces or steel jaws!

After playing Legere studio for several years now this morning I found a Legere signature I bought years ago that I remember I quite liked at the time but couldn’t stop it chirping, weather that was the reed or pilot error I have no idea. So anyway i strap this thing on my Lawton and im like WOW! more projection, cleaner, brighter and much much more responsive and controllable but i think I could do with a 1/4 step stronger so look on Reeds Direct and nearly fell off the chair! £30 for one reed!

So two questions: Anyone know were i can buy them cheaper? And is there an alternative brand (kane or synthetic) that behaves the same?

Cheers
Recently i purchased some Rico Plasticover reeds and was pleasantly surprised at their playability straight from the box.They are considerably less expensive than Legere..I am now playing with one and want to see how its durability stacks up..playing on otto link siper tonemaster 7 and rovner lig.

Recently i purchased some Rico Plasticover reeds and was pleasantly surprised at their playability straight from the box.They are considerably less expensive than Legere..I am now playing with one and want to see how its durability stacks up..playing on otto link siper tonemaster 7 and rovner lig.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on. I tried many years ago and found them to be buzzy and as soon as they started to soften would 'go'. Didn't seem to extend the life at all.

May have been me, probably was me more like

I dont like the way the Plasticover coating leaches into clear plastic reed covers leaving a brownish stain.... makes me think you could ingest hydrocarbons or dyes of unknown provenance

Since this popped back up, here's an update on Legère from the UK, £20-£26

I usually buy for 50 (2 boxes of cane or two Legère) so shipping is free and UPS (here anyway). Two reeds at 26 would do it. Or a reed and some accessories like mouthpiece cushions, assuming you use and need any of these.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just took a look and its plus £8 delivery!
Last order was 53€ for two boxes of ten cane 2.5 Vandoren blue alto reeds. That's 2.65 per reed, was cheaper than Amazon (29-30€) and way faster delivery from Germany. I don't know how that would compare in the UK, and I don't know how good UPS is where you are. Here, it has been excellent, much faster than any of the others, especially the post.

Plasticovers are 23.15 for 5 at Amazon, 17.40 at Thomann.

I just noticed Amazon UK has sale prices on Vandorens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ordered one Legere signature alto from Amazon,£24 and free delivery ordered late on Friday it was delivered Saturday morning, great service.

Back
Top Bottom