support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Learning to Improvise.

...you don't half notice a semitone gap in an improvisation.......! Be a good idea to practice a chromatic quick exit (CQE) if you are going to sound half decent in an improvisation IMHO.........

or when ringing the changes and you suddenly find you’re a semitone out you could say as a Jazz Musician that you’ve tried reflecting the chord progression exactly, then you opted to skim over the progression and simply elaborate the background harmony but when none of those things worked you simply opted to fashion your own voice-leading which intentionally clashed at some points with the chords the rhythm section was playing :w00t:>:):thumb:

Agree with all the advice. I practice scales and patterns then stick the iPod on and play along with all sorts. If I hear a bit of a solo that I really like I stop and go back to work it out n see what they've done. And I'll do stuff with or without backing-sing a short melody then play it til it sounds the same as the singing. And playing 1 or 2 notes with different rhythms or sounds. Doesn't have to be complicated, just short phrase but with good tone and feeling is better than a million notes. And you could try a short phrase, motif, for a couple of bars then on the next two just change a couple of notes. Don't need to go beserk to fit notes in, just do something that feels good.

Hi everybody,

I would just like to finish off by thanking everyone again. I think this is the best advice i have ever been given about anything! Thinking about the notes and owning them was a big change for me, i was just getting the note out on time but something was missing, i get it now. My wife even came upstairs and asked what i was doing differently because i was sounding better!.............at last.

Still not ready to join Courtney Pine yet, but there's hope.
#
Thanks again the everyone.