• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
sax.co.uk

learning chords

Jazzaferri

A rose by any other name.....the name of a chord is a word to communicate musical concept in English.
what is truly important is to hear the chord, all the internal intervals and its overall sound. Then one can start to hear how harmony moves.

Keep Blowing

Commercial Subscriber
A rose by any other name.....the name of a chord is a word to communicate musical concept in English.
what is truly important is to hear the chord, all the internal intervals and its overall sound. Then one can start to hear how harmony moves.
Thanks for your thoughts, I will take it on board

No you don't, or at least I don't. Doesn't matter what it is, I have to work it out every time. What this does, and I'll probably write a more detailed review, is give you structure and practice on the fly. And people using chords need them at their fingertips. Not after a couple of minutes thinking.
If you're taking a couple of minutes to figure out the notes of a chord then you probably don't know intervals and scales well enough yet.

Colin the Bear

And could you share the formula with us?
If we consider two kinds of intervals, a small one of three semitones, called minor and a large one of four semitones, called major. Little and large.

Major on the bottom, minor on the top = major triad/chord
Minor on the bottom, major on the top = minor triad/chord

Minor on a minor = diminished. Shorter than the other two

Major on a major = augmented. Bigger than the other two

The numbers tell you what note to add and the # & b's tell you what to do with them.

So two Lego bricks and you can build anything. Not standard music theory but it works for me.

Keep Blowing

Commercial Subscriber
If you are looking to do this stuff, I assume you want to be an improviser.

in which case, to be blunt......... do not read this stuff out of a book/ app/, on line/ etc etc

it would be much to your benefit to work this out in your own mind and undestand it theoretically.

it will seem slower initially, but it is the way to learn it properly.

but a word of warning. DONT try to learn everything at the same time. It will do your head head, you way only half learn everything, and the little you do learn will be next to useless when improvising.

Here are the 5 chord types you need to learn.
CEGB : c maj7
CEGBb : c7
CEbGBb : c min7
CEbGbBb : c min7 flat 5
CEbGbBbb : ( last note is A.) This gives a diminished 7 chord

Note, one note being flattened everytime as you move through the chord types..

play each chord type in all 4 inversions. eg: cegb, egbc, gbce,bceg up and then back down

Work this out in all keys, but only after TOTALLY nailing it in one key. doing this will enable you to transfer it to other keys..

If you go for this, forget scales for the moment. there is enough work in this.

dont overload !!

good luck
I have been practising the above and making some progress, I am very much a nuts and bolts man and things take a long time to sink in..
Whilst practising, I realised that going through a scale in thirds CEGBDFA 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th covers every note in the scale..
This feels as though it has some significance but I don't really know what, am I barking up the wrong tree or does this mean anything?

Thanks for any replies
Russ

brianr

yes, it does mean something.

yes, you can go higher up than the 7th, giving you the 9th, 11th and 13th as you say.

but in my view, if you are at the early stages of this harmony stuff................................DONT GO THERE.

you need to understand this on a more basic level.

too many people ( and I include my younger self ) see something complicated and feel that they must do it.

im coming to realise that this is not the way forward. it isnt the way to learn.

it is much more beneficial to learn the simpler stuff really well.

so, I gave you the 5 chord types above. It was just a clarification to your question. But, that would be quite a task to learn that in all 12 keys.
Depending where you are in your development, that may be a stage too far.

If you did want something more/different !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

get in to the triads within a given scale. Im coming round to thinking that triads are a great way in to this improvising stuff. Much better than scales.

so, numerically in any scale you have a triad built of the 1st degree of the scale, then the 2, then the 3 etc.

in C this gives CEG<DFA<EGB<FAC<GBD<ACE<BDF<CEG

But really, what im trying to say is dont just flirt around with something for a couple of days. its almost pointless.

You/we really need to NAIL one thing. possibly a month on one thing. possibly in a few different but easy keys.

the benefits are huge. Try it, to prove to yourself. 10 minutes every day on just one idea, for a month. it takes discipline !!!!! stick with it.

good luck

Keep Blowing

Commercial Subscriber
yes, it does mean something.

yes, you can go higher up than the 7th, giving you the 9th, 11th and 13th as you say.

but in my view, if you are at the early stages of this harmony stuff................................DONT GO THERE.

you need to understand this on a more basic level.

too many people ( and I include my younger self ) see something complicated and feel that they must do it.

im coming to realise that this is not the way forward. it isnt the way to learn.

it is much more beneficial to learn the simpler stuff really well.

so, I gave you the 5 chord types above. It was just a clarification to your question. But, that would be quite a task to learn that in all 12 keys.
Depending where you are in your development, that may be a stage too far.

If you did want something more/different !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

get in to the triads within a given scale. Im coming round to thinking that triads are a great way in to this improvising stuff. Much better than scales.

so, numerically in any scale you have a triad built of the 1st degree of the scale, then the 2, then the 3 etc.

in C this gives CEG<DFA<EGB<FAC<GBD<ACE<BDF<CEG

But really, what im trying to say is dont just flirt around with something for a couple of days. its almost pointless.

You/we really need to NAIL one thing. possibly a month on one thing. possibly in a few different but easy keys.

the benefits are huge. Try it, to prove to yourself. 10 minutes every day on just one idea, for a month. it takes discipline !!!!! stick with it.

good luck
Thanks very much, the 1, 3 , 5, 7, 9. 11. 13 was something that just came into my head I wasn't looking to make things complicated..
I will go with the above for a month, I let you know how it goes.

Much Appreciation
Russ

I've got an antique mobile phone that allows me to send texts and make crackly phone calls i.e no internet. (Apparently there's some games on the phone but I've not got around to that page yet..) Is there an equivalent to this app on the old f***** desktop internet ?

Keep Blowing

Commercial Subscriber
I've got an antique mobile phone that allows me to send texts and make crackly phone calls i.e no internet. (Apparently there's some games on the phone but I've not got around to that page yet..) Is there an equivalent to this app on the old f***** desktop internet ?
I've googled it on my phone just comes up a phone app, try it from your computer. You could get a new phone, there's loads you can do these days like go on café saxophone

I have been practising the above and making some progress, I am very much a nuts and bolts man and things take a long time to sink in..
Whilst practising, I realised that going through a scale in thirds CEGBDFA 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th covers every note in the scale..
This feels as though it has some significance but I don't really know what, am I barking up the wrong tree or does this mean anything?

Thanks for any replies
Russ
I think it’s about numbers: it’s really easy to forget a regular scale is 7 notes - the word “octave” is just there to throw us off the scent.
If I do something every other day, in two weeks I’ll have done it on each day (ie every note). If you practice in 4ths it’ll take you 3 octaves/ weeks. :)