• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Miscellaneous Labor Day

jbtsax

R.I.P. in memoriam 1947 - 2023
Messages
8,990
Location
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
Monday September 1st is celebrated as "Labor Day" in the U.S. to celebrate the achievements of workers. Schools, banks, and government offices are closed. In many respects it is the last weekend of summer to go camping or to the beach. Is there an equivalent "holiday" where you live.

Since I am semi-retired and only work when I damn well feel like it---every day is a holiday to me. 🙂
 
Since my zip code is just over a few hills from you, the holiday is the same for me. Except, having fully escaped the toils of gainful employment, I was surprised to hear that today was Labor Day. I only keep my wife's birthday and our anniversary circled. I'm no fool.

Targa, I noticed my wife slipping into white tennis shoes this morning; is she safe from Madam Turner?
 
The only difference in Labor Day in the US and Labour Day in Canada is in the spelling. For the past few years I've been working 6 months a year and avoiding the worst part of winter (December to March) as I've generally always worked outside. And taking a couple of months off in summer. I'm 65 in late October and can start drawing my pension. Hallelujah!
 
Apart from Christmas and Easter, we have three bank holidays in England & Wales (Scotland and N Ireland have their own). They are May Day, 1st Monday in May, Spring bank holiday, last Monday in May and the imaginatively named August bank holiday, last Monday in August.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13217242
This link gives some information on the politics of bank holidays.

Like you John, I'm semi retired ( more retired than semi) so most days are holidays to me too. 🙂
 
Since my zip code is just over a few hills from you, the holiday is the same for me. Except, having fully escaped the toils of gainful employment, I was surprised to hear that today was Labor Day. I only keep my wife's birthday and our anniversary circled. I'm no fool.

Targa, I noticed my wife slipping into white tennis shoes this morning; is she safe from Madam Turner?
Are you implying your wife is not a lady?

(That's no lady, that's my wife.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMXcWCGkG3M
 
Last edited:
One of the good things about being retired is that you can go out on weekdays and stay at home on bank hols when the roads are full of traffic. Actually that's not strictly true as on most working days you have to avoid the time of the "school run". This is something around 3-4pm when parents of children who can't be bothered to walk a short distance or go by bus park 4x4s that they don't need on the double yellow lines outside school, which have been painted there precisely to stop people parking there and blocking traffic. (No slight intended against parents who do need to pick children up from school). Alternatively main roads near schools have 20mph limits imposed so that you don't do so much damage to children who should know better when they deliberately walk out in front of you rather than staying on the pavement (sidewalk to our American friends) and crossing at the proper place. Of course, these limits are in place all day and during school hols when there is not a child in sight.

BTW in some parts of the UK bank holidays are not all public holidays. A subtle one for those who struggle to understand British constitution.
 
A Bank Holiday is one where by law the clearing system does not settle, i.e. a day is added to the cheque clearing cycle...

It's probably worth saying that Christmas has 2 - Christmas Day and Boxing Day (Dec. 26), and Easter has two: Good Friday and Easter Monday.
 
Targa, bad move on Turner's part if confronting my Detroit-born, 3/5 Ojibwa/Chippewa wife, red-haired, considered dangerous if threatened by total Anglo bitch (I convinced her I'm not total Anglo because my dad was American/Irish and mom first-generation Swede-American.) At her altitude of five-feet three I still tend to nod my head in agreement in most situations. She lets me have my saxophones and she can have anything she wants. I don't care. Has worked well for about three decades.
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,258
Messages
575,904
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom