support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Kohlert Windsor castle alto?

C_Claudemonster

Formerly saxgirl22
does anyone know anything of these? I was browsing and saw one on eBay - it looks nice but I can't find any info and the seller really has left alot to the imagination with a really brief description so you just don't know what you could end up with?! I've heard they may be Czech and about 1920/30 but that's about it.

I'm biased (cos I have two, slightly later ones).

The old Kohlerts are wonderful... In their day they were considered the best of the German/Czech saxes, although some prefer Keilwerths. Ergo's are, for me, fine. Light, fast. Intonation's OK, but you may have to work at it a bit. Yes it's Czech. Made in Graslitz (Kraslice in Czech).

I've never heard of Windsor Castle as a model and the ebay shot is terrible. So there's little to be learnt from ebay.

I found this from earlier this year: http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/kohlert-windsor-castle-alto-saxophone-244785161

Which explains a lot. Kohlert made a lot of stencils. And I don't know any other maker from that era in that area with a serial number list that'd match. So it looks as if it's a Kohlert, stencilled Windsor Castle by a brit seller.

I've no idea what the mouthpiece is. If you're lucky it's an old Brilhart, but it doesn't look like one.

Same serial number as the one on ebay... Assuming the repad is OK, you may need a couple of tweaks, but probably nothing expensive.

Looks like it's in Silver plate with a gold wash bell. Nice. Doesn't have the micro tuner neck (no loss, they seem to sieze up).

Serial number dates this to 1928, possibly 1929 / model 1928.

Mine was compared to a Yani, A Sax, King Zephyr, Buescher True Tone, Mk VI. To my ears (obviously objective), it was the best sounding of the lot. And my teacher, who owned the others, was really impressed with it as well... And I've compared it to some modern Far east altos. No comparison, the Kohlert wins hands down every day.

ymmv, and I'm sure a couple of the modern horn fans will say don't waste your money...

Thanks Kev, I'm probably not going to go for it as I've just about had enough of eBay this evening! I've had members offer me less than half my asking price on items this week! Can't believe the cheek of some people, I don't even know why I waste my time replying to them! They sound nice anyway but I have to wait a little while before I purchase yet another saxophone as I have no space :)

Thanks Kev, I'm probably not going to go for it as I've just about had enough of eBay this evening! I've had members offer me less than half my asking price on items this week! Can't believe the cheek of some people, I don't even know why I waste my time replying to them! They sound nice anyway but I have to wait a little while before I purchase yet another saxophone as I have no space :)

Ebay.... Can be good.

This one looks like good value atm. Here, with a recent repad, it's probably go for a lot more. But in the UK... Not sure. Guy mght be lucky to get 100 for it.

Occurred to me last night, I forgot to warn you that there's a good chance this isn't in standard/low pitch. And if it's not it's of little use to you, except as an ornament or unaccompanied instrument.

If you change your mind, get the seller to stand the horn on it's end and let you know how long/high it is. Without the neck and with the body tube vertical.

Mine's 56.5cm/22 1/4"

Thanks Kev, will do. I haven't placed a bid yet but this did occur to me. I asked the seller if there were any letters on the sax for the pitch and he said he could only find an 'H' and doesn't know too much about saxophones so isn't sure where the thumb rest is. I'll ask him to measure it for me and if I don't get a reply I won't bid cos that's alot of money for an ornament! :)

Hi Kev, if you get this in time but the seller has just responded to me saying the length of the sax is '520/30 cm' I think he means mm whcih translates to about 53cm. Who knows if he has measured it correctly or accurately. Would a high pitch sax have keywork that is so involved as this for this period 1928/29?
I don't want to throw money at something that can only be a lamp! Thanks for your help

Hi Kev, if you get this in time but the seller has just responded to me saying the length of the sax is '520/30 cm' I think he means mm whcih translates to about 53cm. Who knows if he has measured it correctly or accurately. Would a high pitch sax have keywork that is so involved as this for this period 1928/29?
I don't want to throw money at something that can only be a lamp! Thanks for your help

Suggest you query the measurements, but on that length I'd think it was high pitch. Need to test/check. Keywork wouldn't change in complexity because of the pitch. Where's the H?

Kev, after much deliberation I ended up retracting my bid on the Kohlert alto - I just couldn't really be sure that it was a low pitch instrument and £175 is not the sort of money I'd throw at a risky purchase like that! Maybe I could have got a really good sax but there was not enough info about it so I backed out. It might have ended up on the yard sale in a week following my purchase and I can guarantee that it would be a money losing excercise :(

another update, but I'm glad I never made the purchase. The guy has reduced the price significantly on the sax, which for me perhaps means I could have paid quite a bit over the top for a non useful saxophone!

Wonder if he's been reading this thread? Must be frustrating for the owner to have an unsellable sax that's in good condition and that he paid good money to have repadded.

I've a feeling that one day High pitch saxes will be in demand, partly from scarcity, and partly from future revivalists who want them for period music... But I think it'll be a long time before it happens.

I think if he was charged £390 for an overhaul and the experts in this particular shop knew it was a high pitch instrument then I feel that they may have almost ripped him off or been vague and taken advantage as an overhaul is usually in the region of £275 - 300 depending on what the customer wants. But, it appears he doesn't know too much about saxophones and has quite a few to shift as he's emigrating I believe. Yes, I guess high pitch are a bit like C melody saxes and I want a C melody so it can't be that bad!

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom