support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Keilwerth/ Kirk Whalum at sax.co.uk

Yesterday I attended the Keilwerth presentation organized by sax.co.uk
They booked a venue near the London shop to let us enjoy the main attraction: Kirk Whalum.

Of course I was in the shop two hours earlier to let Keilwerth people enjoy my comments and my playing (why limit this pleasure to the shop staff?) on their David Liebman soprano; an instrument that intrigued me but I never saw in flesh.

The Buffet representative and the Keilwerth product manager (Al Maniscalco) were there, really helpful, to show it to me.
An instrument developed by a musician like Liebman is a bit risky, since he is probably the most personal and complete soprano player (after Steve Lacy, OK) in history. Some redesigned keys (RH palm) are strikingly and beautifully original.

Well, that keywork is absolutely the most comfortable I ever tried.
Including a great side alt F# that I always find uncomfortable.
Cafe member David Roach was there too, but unfortunately did not have his soprano mouthpiece. I hope in his comments about the keywork as a classical player.

Sound wise, you all know where my heart is...

Then Whalum's performance.
I knew his music as a very smooth artist. Lot of reverb and carefully produced records. At the Virgin store he was our favourite choice for customers wanting "something like Kenny G".

Listening to him live was incredible. Such a deep earthy sound. Incredible jazz phrasing. Quite a revelation (pun not intended). Having no microphones really helps understanding a sound.
It will make me think about using different setups: he plays a pretty basic Vandoren mouthpiece.

After his performance, Al Maniscalco introduced the various models. He is a serious player, and managed to give an idea of the feels of the different models, rather than show off how good he is. And he is really good.
I am curious to try the MKX, the instrument he sounded better on, to my ears.

A great evening indeed and thanks to sax.co.uk for organizing it. (tickets went sold out immediately weeks ago, though)

Last edited:
Hi all, as Aldevis says, I was there on Tuesday last. I've always loved Kirk Whallum's playing and hearing him live (no mic) was a great experience. He is a truely remarkable person and player.

I had the opportunity to try the new SX90 soprano at Sax.co.uk yesterday afternoon when I was in picking up my tenor from Mark Bishop. I'll post my feelings in the correct sub-forum in due course.

I always liked the keilwerth sound (Tenor anyway), never got on with the ergos ..

JK tenors and sops are for me amazing horns. Had the trio years ago, black nickel tenor, silver alto and gold lac soprano. I miss the tenor. I have tried the solid nickel tenor which is awesome. The vintage finish model is 1 I would to try out. When I think back 1 of my best recorded sounds on tenor was on the black JK tenor. Yamaha 82Z , JK and Borgani are the 3 for me. Then my AS tenor which is scary nice.

Hi all, as Aldevis says, I was there on Tuesday last. I've always loved Kirk Whallum's playing and hearing him live (no mic) was a great experience. He is a truely remarkable person and player.

I had the opportunity to try the new SX90 soprano at Sax.co.uk yesterday afternoon when I was in picking up my tenor from Mark Bishop. I'll post my feelings in the correct sub-forum in due course.
Hi David, thanks for the feedback.

Aldevis told us he pressganged you into joining. Would be great if you'd introduce yourself in the doorbell section here: http://cafesaxophone.com/community/forums/the-doorbell.8/

thanks.

Hi David, thanks for the feedback.

Aldevis told us he pressganged you into joining. Would be great if you'd introduce yourself in the doorbell section here: The Doorbell

thanks.
Right; Dave too deserves to know the bunch of people he'll find here. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ads
Wow Dave, that is a serious review. Thank you.
It would be great if you could have another go with the two Sequoia (K91&Lemon) I have here. Your comments are incredibly precise.

I will re-post it as resource, as soon as @Pete Thomas tell me how to do it (or any other more experienced mod).

You made me think of the height of the player related to posture. The actual distance between shoulder and elbow dramatically influences the hand position, on a straight soprano. That explains why I felt at ease with those side keys (I am fairly shorter than you).

Thanks Aldevis, I will be very happy to re-visit the Sequoias, especially as I have had very little time with them as yet, but as you know I do like them.

Re: players' height, I'm reminded of a picture of Grover Washington Jr. playing tenor: his right arm was almost straight whereas mine is at a right-angle, he must have been a short man!

I have now got a Keilwerth SX90DL Soprano here at home to test properly, so I'll post my findings in a few days.
Cheers

I have now got a Keilwerth SX90DL Soprano here at home to test properly, so I'll post my findings in a few days.
Cheers

Netless: Sequoia vs, Keilwerth?
I will make coffee and buy you a special ale from my exclusive supplier.

Well, I know it's early days, but I am finding the intonation on the Keilwerth, how shall I put it, ...difficult. It may well work better with a larger chambered mouthpiece, which I don't have because conversely I find that the Series 3 doesn't like them.

The Sequoia's intonation seemed very good on the other hand.

I will try to get together with Aldevis sometime in the next two weeks and I will do my best to post a fair recording of my Series 3, the Keilwerth and one of Aldevis' Sequoias. I know the S3 has an unfair advantage, but at least it will give people an idea of my baseline.

Well, I know it's early days, but I am finding the intonation on the Keilwerth, how shall I put it, ...difficult. It may well work better with a larger chambered mouthpiece, which I don't have because conversely I find that the Series 3 doesn't like them.

The Sequoia's intonation seemed very good on the other hand.

I will try to get together with Aldevis sometime in the next two weeks and I will do my best to post a fair recording of my Series 3, the Keilwerth and one of Aldevis' Sequoias. I know the S3 has an unfair advantage, but at least it will give people an idea of my baseline.

Brilliant, looking forward to hearing them :)

Jx