support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Kamasi Washington

dooce

Locality
Daventry
Kamasi was one of the big names at the Love Supreme festival last weekend, and the only "mainstream" jazz artist to play on the big open stage there, which was otherwise reserved for soft jazz/crossover/outright pop material - Corinne Bailey Rae, The Jacksons and others. He was magnificent - the power, precision, articulation and projection of his playing is stunning. Even the non-jazz fans who set up their chairs at the main stage and never wander into any of the areas where the more "challenging" music is being presented stood and cheered. And afterwards, complete with trademark full African robes and head-dress, he wandered round the public area chatting to people and having selfies taken. Top bloke. His CD, The Epic, is on order........

I love his CD Epic but I found his live show, when I saw him at Glastonbury last year, so intense that I had to duck out half way through (I did have a hangover and was ankle deep in mud at the time, in my defence). I couldn’t fault any of the playing or the music itself but the absolute full tilt intensity was more than I could manage….
Did you catch The Comet is Coming or The Sons of Kemet (Shabaka Hutchin's two bands)? they would have been on my to see list

I love his CD Epic but I found his live show, when I saw him at Glastonbury last year, so intense that I had to duck out half way through (I did have a hangover and was ankle deep in mud at the time, in my defence). I couldn’t fault any of the playing or the music itself but the absolute full tilt intensity was more than I could manage….
Did you catch The Comet is Coming or The Sons of Kemet (Shabaka Hutchin's two bands)? they would have been on my to see list

No, I can't remember why not, they might have clashed with something else or, more likely, I felt it necessary to spend some time with my lovely, long-suffering wife who, despite having less than zero interest in jazz, bought the tickets because I had enjoyed last year's event so much. And it was her birthday......

I know what you mean about the intensity of Kamasi, he is absolutely full on, but I found that involving and almost hypnotic - maybe that comes of being relatively sober in a nice dry field! Certainly left the senses reeling after he had finished.

Was also very impressed with Mammal Hands, BadBadNotGood, Makaya McCraven, Robert Glasper, Michael Wollny - well pretty much everyone I saw to be honest! Extremely good and adventurous line-up.

Kamasi played the Arts club Liverpool on Friday i didn't go, but know of two people who did go.
One loved it one didn't

This is fantastic. The stage seems like a busy and joyous place to be!

Back
Top Bottom