Tutorials
Shop
Supporting special needs music education since 2008
About
Forum guide
Rules
Support the Café fundraising
Mailing
Pete Thomas music
Biog
Discussion
Forum sections
Start a discussion
Articles
Timezones
Articles
Articles on CafeSaxophone
Articles on Taming The Saxophone
Shop
NEW
All new posts (unfiltered)
Latest activity
Social Feed
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Quick Search
Search titles only
Note
By:
Forum sections
Start a discussion
Articles
Timezones
Menu
Log in
Register
How to install the app
How to install the app on iOS
NB: For Safari start at step 2
(Firefox only) Tap on the hamburger menu at bottom right
Tap on the share icon
(bottom of page)
Scroll down and tap on
Add to Home Screen:
Note:
This feature may not be available in some browsers.
New!
Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon:
. You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.
Discussion
🎷 Main Discussion sections🎷
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Jr. Walkers Mouthpiece?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="John Laughter" data-source="post: 410204" data-attributes="member: 228"><p>This has nothing to do with his m/p's but some of you might enjoy the history.</p><p style="text-align: center"></p> <p style="text-align: center">Bio courtesy Billy Wilson</p><p></p><p>Junior Walker was born June 14, 1931. He died November 23, 1995.</p><p></p><p>Of all the great musicians who played on scores of Motown records, almost none of them got label credit, much less a chance to bask in the spotlight. The lone exception was Junior Walker, born Oscar G. Mixon and later changed to Autry DeWalt Walker, in Blytheville, Arkansas. He was inspired on alto and tenor sax by George Mason, Gene Ammons, Louis Jordan, Earl Bostic, and Illinois Jacquet. He had a special respect for Charlie Parker and Nashville session man Homer “Boots” Randolph. Walker should be close to the top of the list of any of rock & roll’s great tenor saxophonists.</p><p></p><p>Walker grew up in South Bend, Indiana, where he took up saxophone in high school and started his first band The Jumpin Jacks, a combo which consisted of Junior (sax), Joe Neil and later Fred Patton (piano), and Paul Smith (drums). Later Junior joined another group, and they played as a trio in local jazz and R&B clubs in Niles, Michigan. The group was called Billy “Stix” Nicks and the Rhythm Rockers, run by Billy Nicks. The group at that time consisted of Fred Patton (Piano/Organ), Billy Nicks (drums), and Junior. Eventually Willie Woods joined the group as a background vocalist to make up the quartet. Woods soon after picked up the guitar and started performing with the group. When Billy Nicks joined the army, Walker continued the group as the Jumpin Jacks.</p><p></p><p>When Walker moved to Battle Creek, Michigan, he took Woods and Patton and formed The Junior Walker All Stars, which consisted of Fred Patton , then later Victor Thomas (on organ), Woods (on guitar & background vocals), and Tony Washington (on drums). Washington was replaced by Jack Douglas (Drums), but Douglas couldn't cut the session for the Motown hit “Shotgun” because he only made live performances. The group eventually picked up the drummer that would make all the photo sessions—James Graves. While playing the local club circuit the following year the group was spotted by Johnny Bristol. Bristol recommended them to Harvey Fuqua, who signed them to his own Harvey label. Fuqua’s Tri-Phi and Harvey labels were taken over by Motown Records in 1963, and Junior Walker and the All-Stars began recording for the subsidiary label Soul in 1964. In early 1965, Junior Walker and The All-Stars recorded “Shotgun” (#4 pop, #1 R&B, 1965) and had a string of party hits that included “Do the Boomerang” (#10 R&B) and “Shake and Fingerpop” (#7 R&B) in 1965 and “How Sweet It Is (to Be Loved by You)” (#18 pop, #3 R&B). After the departure of the drummer James Graves, Junior called on his long-time buddy of the 1950s Billy “Stix” Nicks to join the quartet. Nicks helped continue his reign of party music with the ever-rocking title cut off the album <em>I'm a Road Runner</em> (#20 pop, #4 R&B) in 1966. Walker continued with hits such as “Pucker Up Buttercup” (#3 pop, #11 R&B) and “Come See About Me” (#24 pop, #8 R&B) in 1967, and “Hip City, Part Two” (#7 R&B 1965) in 1968. With Walker singing more, The All Stars had success with “What Does It Take (to Win Your Love)” (#4 pop, #1 R&B) and “These Eyes” (#16 pop, #3 R&B) in 1969, “Gotta Hold On to This Feeling” (#21 pop, #2 R&B) and “Do You See My Love (For You Growing)” (#32 pop, #3 R&B) in 1970, and “Walk in the Night” (#46 pop, #10 R&B) in 1972. Walker continued recording in the 1970s, including a stint with ex-Motown producer writer Norman Whitfield’s label in 1979. He provided the saxophone solo for Foreigner’s 1981 hit “Urgent” and re-signed with Motown in 1983.</p><p></p><p>Junior Walker and The All-Stars toured into the 1990s. Junior Walker died in Battle Creek, Michigan, of cancer on November 23, 1995. After the death of Walker, Billy “Stix” Nicks, along with Billy Wilson, continued the Junior Walker’s All Star Bands reign of party music through the new millennium. The group now consists of Billy “Stix” Nicks (drums), Willie Rankin (sax), Roschelle Laughhunn & Kathy Hannemann a.k.a. Kat Webb (background vocals), Jon Gee (lead and background vocals), Cedrick Davis (guitar), and Billy Wilson (bass guitar & background vocals). As long as Walker’s music exists, the reign of Motown will exist in the hearts and minds of baby boomers and future generations alike.</p><p></p><p>The following notes are courtesy of nightowlclub.com/tributes/jrwalker</p><p></p><p>When Walker first became interested in the sax, he said;</p><p></p><p>"I used to go to the house of a guy named George Mason. He blew a horn, tenor sax. He had an alto, and he had a tenor. I used to go to his house every Sunday. They used to jam every Sunday, and the police would bother us every now and again. I’d just go and watch and listen. I went over one day, and the band wasn’t there. George was. So there was this alto sittin’ there, and I picked it up and said to George, “Well, show me.” I told George, “Man, I like the crooked horn.” That’s what I called it. So he showed me a few things on it, and I started blowing. Kept foolin’ with it. He’d blow some notes, and I’d just go along with him. One day I guess I got too good, and he got uptight. He just looked at me, and he took the horn away. So I left."</p><p></p><p>Walker got his first sax from a relative. His uncle, a retired Horn player from Chicago, visited him. Walker recalls: “I heard you was tryin’ to blow a horn,” he said to his nephew. “Yeah. I’m gonna be bad.” “I got a horn at home. I ain’t gonna blow no more. I’m gonna give the thing to you. Now I couldn’t get into really big time. So I want you to blow it.”</p><p></p><p>The next time the retired horn player saw his nephew, Walker was blowing with a little band in South Bend. He had traded in his uncle’s horn at Rosenbaum’s pawnshop for a better one, but as he heated up, the dented old honker couldn’t keep pace. His mother came to the rescue, Walker shares:</p><p></p><p>“My mother said, ‘I’m gonna help you get your horn.’ Because she was working, and I was trying still to work construction. She took me down to Elkhart, where they make horns, and she said, ‘Just pick you out one of them good horns.’ It cost about five hundred dollars, back then that was supposed to be cheap. She put it on layaway, and she was payin’ on it every week. That Selmer Mark 6 is the horn that made all the Motown hits, I took that horn and gold plated it, put it up on my wall at home. It still sounds the best, better than this one here, which I got in 1966 or ‘67. Sometimes I have to walk over and take it down. Oh, when I get to blowin’ that horn, it’s pretty.”</p><p></p><p>Jr. joined the Jumping Jacks (later known as the The Sticks Nix Band) at the age of sixteen. The leader of the band was the drummer Billy “Sticks” Nicks. By time the band moved to Battle Creek, Michigan, the leadership had fallen into the hands of the saxophonist. During this period his name changed again. He claims he was nicknamed “Walker” because as a child he would walk everywhere. In 1962 Jr. Walker & the AllStars (organ Vic Thomas, guitar Willie Woods and drums James Graves) often played at the El Grotto bar. Johnny Bristol and Jackey Beavers (a duo) were also regular performers at the club. Johnny has fond memories of the club: “Jackey and I sang on a weekend and Junior's was the band, it was the El Grotto bar, affectionately known as the “Bloody Corner”, because someone got bloody every weekend!!”</p><p></p><p>Johnny & Jackey had recorded the original version of “Someday We’ll Be Together” (later a hit for the Supremes) for Detroit’s Tri-Phi label operated by Harvey Fuqua and his wife Gwen Gordy. It was Bristol that suggested to Jr. that he and his group make records. Jr. answered, “If there's some money in it, yeah, let’s make it.” The quartet cut three singles for the Fuquas’ Harvey label. When the Harvey label was absorbed by Motown the band made a separate deal with Berry Gordy, Jr. and were placed on the Soul subsidiary label. One of the biggest hits was “Shotgun.” Jr. remembers: “I wrote that tune after watching a couple of kids do this kind of different dance in a club.” (a song that Junior sang on by default, as the original singer didn't show up for the recording).</p><p></p><p>This record took them from bar band status to international stardom. Berry Gordy, Jr. and Lawrence Horn added bassist James Jemerson and other studio players to fatten the band’s sound. In 1966 he did a cover of Marvin Gaye’s “How Sweet it is to be Loved by You.” The saxophonist recalls:</p><p></p><p>“We were fooling around at the start of a session. Me and the band were playing and there were a lot of people in the studio shouting at us to play. The producer, Lawrence Horn, was in the control room and somebody started telling everybody to keep quiet because we were going to start recording. Then I listened to a tape we'd made and it sounded great, just like a party. So we decided to make the record just like that.”</p><p></p><p>A second single was cut during that session which Walker called Go-Go-Go-Going, but it was canned. Drummer Graves was killed in a ‘67 road accident and the original AllStars left not long after. Walker was advised to take a softer approach by producers Bristol and Fuqua; the result of that was “What Does it Take to Win Your Love,” another smash hit. The singing saxman (although he didn’t consider himself a singer—“I prefer playing to singing because I can’t sing.”) continued having hits with Motown through to 1976. In 1979 he reemerged with two 45s and an album on the Whitfield label. In 1981 he played sax on the Foreigner hit “Urgent.” He returned to Motown in 1983 and cut the album <em>Blow Your House Down</em>. In 1989 he appeared on the little known label Washington Hit Makers and did a sax version of Jimmy James’s “I’ll Go Where the Music Takes Me.”</p><p></p><p>In the early days the AllStars were big earners for the Motown dynasty. It saddens me that the only information available on them is the work of independent journalists. Why is that? I can’t answer that question. However, I do have opinions that I will keep to myself. Even in some of the Motown celebrations, anniversaries, and TV programs, he got little or no recognition, unlike some of the so-called Motown stars who “in my opinion” were just about good enough to perform as one of his backing singers. Walker was just an ordinary guy who never talked about his humble origins. I reckon he was happy to put food on the table for his family. He never lost his roots—“without roots big trees fall down”—as did so many of the more glamorous artists. I suppose another angle to look at it from is that he was fortunate to have made international status unlike many other talented performers from his era. That might be the case, but even if he had not signed with Motown and moved onto lesser known labels, we in the Northern Soul scene would still have found him, and I'd still be typing this tribute...because he is our sort of artist.</p><p></p><p>Discography:</p><p></p><p>1965 <em>Shotgun</em> (Motown)—Motown</p><p>1966 <em>Soul Session</em>—Soul</p><p>1966 <em>Roadrunner</em>—Motown</p><p>1967 <em>Live</em>—Soul</p><p>1969 <em>Gotta Hold on to This Feeling</em>—Motown</p><p>1969 <em>Home Cookin'</em>—Motown</p><p>1970 <em>Live</em>!—Motown</p><p>1970 <em>A Gasss</em>—Soul</p><p>1971 <em>Rainbow Funk</em>—Soul</p><p>1971 <em>Moody Jr</em>.—Soul</p><p>1973 <em>Peace & Understanding</em>—Soul</p><p>1974 <em>Jr. Walker & the All Stars</em>—Motown</p><p>1976 <em>Whopper Bopper Show Stopper</em>—Soul</p><p>1976 <em>Sax Appeal</em>—Soul</p><p>1976 <em>Hot Shot</em>—Soul</p><p>1977 <em>Motown Special</em>—Motown</p><p>1978 <em>Smooth</em>—Soul</p><p>1979 <em>Back Street Boogie</em>—Whitfield</p><p>1983 <em>Blow the House Down</em>—Motown</p><p>1994 <em>Nothing But Soul: The Singles</em>—Motown</p><p></p><p>[URL unfurl="true"]https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?334578-Jr-Walker-amp-The-All-Stars&highlight=walker[/URL]</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="John Laughter, post: 410204, member: 228"] This has nothing to do with his m/p's but some of you might enjoy the history. [CENTER] Bio courtesy Billy Wilson[/CENTER] Junior Walker was born June 14, 1931. He died November 23, 1995. Of all the great musicians who played on scores of Motown records, almost none of them got label credit, much less a chance to bask in the spotlight. The lone exception was Junior Walker, born Oscar G. Mixon and later changed to Autry DeWalt Walker, in Blytheville, Arkansas. He was inspired on alto and tenor sax by George Mason, Gene Ammons, Louis Jordan, Earl Bostic, and Illinois Jacquet. He had a special respect for Charlie Parker and Nashville session man Homer “Boots” Randolph. Walker should be close to the top of the list of any of rock & roll’s great tenor saxophonists. Walker grew up in South Bend, Indiana, where he took up saxophone in high school and started his first band The Jumpin Jacks, a combo which consisted of Junior (sax), Joe Neil and later Fred Patton (piano), and Paul Smith (drums). Later Junior joined another group, and they played as a trio in local jazz and R&B clubs in Niles, Michigan. The group was called Billy “Stix” Nicks and the Rhythm Rockers, run by Billy Nicks. The group at that time consisted of Fred Patton (Piano/Organ), Billy Nicks (drums), and Junior. Eventually Willie Woods joined the group as a background vocalist to make up the quartet. Woods soon after picked up the guitar and started performing with the group. When Billy Nicks joined the army, Walker continued the group as the Jumpin Jacks. When Walker moved to Battle Creek, Michigan, he took Woods and Patton and formed The Junior Walker All Stars, which consisted of Fred Patton , then later Victor Thomas (on organ), Woods (on guitar & background vocals), and Tony Washington (on drums). Washington was replaced by Jack Douglas (Drums), but Douglas couldn't cut the session for the Motown hit “Shotgun” because he only made live performances. The group eventually picked up the drummer that would make all the photo sessions—James Graves. While playing the local club circuit the following year the group was spotted by Johnny Bristol. Bristol recommended them to Harvey Fuqua, who signed them to his own Harvey label. Fuqua’s Tri-Phi and Harvey labels were taken over by Motown Records in 1963, and Junior Walker and the All-Stars began recording for the subsidiary label Soul in 1964. In early 1965, Junior Walker and The All-Stars recorded “Shotgun” (#4 pop, #1 R&B, 1965) and had a string of party hits that included “Do the Boomerang” (#10 R&B) and “Shake and Fingerpop” (#7 R&B) in 1965 and “How Sweet It Is (to Be Loved by You)” (#18 pop, #3 R&B). After the departure of the drummer James Graves, Junior called on his long-time buddy of the 1950s Billy “Stix” Nicks to join the quartet. Nicks helped continue his reign of party music with the ever-rocking title cut off the album [I]I'm a Road Runner[/I] (#20 pop, #4 R&B) in 1966. Walker continued with hits such as “Pucker Up Buttercup” (#3 pop, #11 R&B) and “Come See About Me” (#24 pop, #8 R&B) in 1967, and “Hip City, Part Two” (#7 R&B 1965) in 1968. With Walker singing more, The All Stars had success with “What Does It Take (to Win Your Love)” (#4 pop, #1 R&B) and “These Eyes” (#16 pop, #3 R&B) in 1969, “Gotta Hold On to This Feeling” (#21 pop, #2 R&B) and “Do You See My Love (For You Growing)” (#32 pop, #3 R&B) in 1970, and “Walk in the Night” (#46 pop, #10 R&B) in 1972. Walker continued recording in the 1970s, including a stint with ex-Motown producer writer Norman Whitfield’s label in 1979. He provided the saxophone solo for Foreigner’s 1981 hit “Urgent” and re-signed with Motown in 1983. Junior Walker and The All-Stars toured into the 1990s. Junior Walker died in Battle Creek, Michigan, of cancer on November 23, 1995. After the death of Walker, Billy “Stix” Nicks, along with Billy Wilson, continued the Junior Walker’s All Star Bands reign of party music through the new millennium. The group now consists of Billy “Stix” Nicks (drums), Willie Rankin (sax), Roschelle Laughhunn & Kathy Hannemann a.k.a. Kat Webb (background vocals), Jon Gee (lead and background vocals), Cedrick Davis (guitar), and Billy Wilson (bass guitar & background vocals). As long as Walker’s music exists, the reign of Motown will exist in the hearts and minds of baby boomers and future generations alike. The following notes are courtesy of nightowlclub.com/tributes/jrwalker When Walker first became interested in the sax, he said; "I used to go to the house of a guy named George Mason. He blew a horn, tenor sax. He had an alto, and he had a tenor. I used to go to his house every Sunday. They used to jam every Sunday, and the police would bother us every now and again. I’d just go and watch and listen. I went over one day, and the band wasn’t there. George was. So there was this alto sittin’ there, and I picked it up and said to George, “Well, show me.” I told George, “Man, I like the crooked horn.” That’s what I called it. So he showed me a few things on it, and I started blowing. Kept foolin’ with it. He’d blow some notes, and I’d just go along with him. One day I guess I got too good, and he got uptight. He just looked at me, and he took the horn away. So I left." Walker got his first sax from a relative. His uncle, a retired Horn player from Chicago, visited him. Walker recalls: “I heard you was tryin’ to blow a horn,” he said to his nephew. “Yeah. I’m gonna be bad.” “I got a horn at home. I ain’t gonna blow no more. I’m gonna give the thing to you. Now I couldn’t get into really big time. So I want you to blow it.” The next time the retired horn player saw his nephew, Walker was blowing with a little band in South Bend. He had traded in his uncle’s horn at Rosenbaum’s pawnshop for a better one, but as he heated up, the dented old honker couldn’t keep pace. His mother came to the rescue, Walker shares: “My mother said, ‘I’m gonna help you get your horn.’ Because she was working, and I was trying still to work construction. She took me down to Elkhart, where they make horns, and she said, ‘Just pick you out one of them good horns.’ It cost about five hundred dollars, back then that was supposed to be cheap. She put it on layaway, and she was payin’ on it every week. That Selmer Mark 6 is the horn that made all the Motown hits, I took that horn and gold plated it, put it up on my wall at home. It still sounds the best, better than this one here, which I got in 1966 or ‘67. Sometimes I have to walk over and take it down. Oh, when I get to blowin’ that horn, it’s pretty.” Jr. joined the Jumping Jacks (later known as the The Sticks Nix Band) at the age of sixteen. The leader of the band was the drummer Billy “Sticks” Nicks. By time the band moved to Battle Creek, Michigan, the leadership had fallen into the hands of the saxophonist. During this period his name changed again. He claims he was nicknamed “Walker” because as a child he would walk everywhere. In 1962 Jr. Walker & the AllStars (organ Vic Thomas, guitar Willie Woods and drums James Graves) often played at the El Grotto bar. Johnny Bristol and Jackey Beavers (a duo) were also regular performers at the club. Johnny has fond memories of the club: “Jackey and I sang on a weekend and Junior's was the band, it was the El Grotto bar, affectionately known as the “Bloody Corner”, because someone got bloody every weekend!!” Johnny & Jackey had recorded the original version of “Someday We’ll Be Together” (later a hit for the Supremes) for Detroit’s Tri-Phi label operated by Harvey Fuqua and his wife Gwen Gordy. It was Bristol that suggested to Jr. that he and his group make records. Jr. answered, “If there's some money in it, yeah, let’s make it.” The quartet cut three singles for the Fuquas’ Harvey label. When the Harvey label was absorbed by Motown the band made a separate deal with Berry Gordy, Jr. and were placed on the Soul subsidiary label. One of the biggest hits was “Shotgun.” Jr. remembers: “I wrote that tune after watching a couple of kids do this kind of different dance in a club.” (a song that Junior sang on by default, as the original singer didn't show up for the recording). This record took them from bar band status to international stardom. Berry Gordy, Jr. and Lawrence Horn added bassist James Jemerson and other studio players to fatten the band’s sound. In 1966 he did a cover of Marvin Gaye’s “How Sweet it is to be Loved by You.” The saxophonist recalls: “We were fooling around at the start of a session. Me and the band were playing and there were a lot of people in the studio shouting at us to play. The producer, Lawrence Horn, was in the control room and somebody started telling everybody to keep quiet because we were going to start recording. Then I listened to a tape we'd made and it sounded great, just like a party. So we decided to make the record just like that.” A second single was cut during that session which Walker called Go-Go-Go-Going, but it was canned. Drummer Graves was killed in a ‘67 road accident and the original AllStars left not long after. Walker was advised to take a softer approach by producers Bristol and Fuqua; the result of that was “What Does it Take to Win Your Love,” another smash hit. The singing saxman (although he didn’t consider himself a singer—“I prefer playing to singing because I can’t sing.”) continued having hits with Motown through to 1976. In 1979 he reemerged with two 45s and an album on the Whitfield label. In 1981 he played sax on the Foreigner hit “Urgent.” He returned to Motown in 1983 and cut the album [I]Blow Your House Down[/I]. In 1989 he appeared on the little known label Washington Hit Makers and did a sax version of Jimmy James’s “I’ll Go Where the Music Takes Me.” In the early days the AllStars were big earners for the Motown dynasty. It saddens me that the only information available on them is the work of independent journalists. Why is that? I can’t answer that question. However, I do have opinions that I will keep to myself. Even in some of the Motown celebrations, anniversaries, and TV programs, he got little or no recognition, unlike some of the so-called Motown stars who “in my opinion” were just about good enough to perform as one of his backing singers. Walker was just an ordinary guy who never talked about his humble origins. I reckon he was happy to put food on the table for his family. He never lost his roots—“without roots big trees fall down”—as did so many of the more glamorous artists. I suppose another angle to look at it from is that he was fortunate to have made international status unlike many other talented performers from his era. That might be the case, but even if he had not signed with Motown and moved onto lesser known labels, we in the Northern Soul scene would still have found him, and I'd still be typing this tribute...because he is our sort of artist. Discography: 1965 [I]Shotgun[/I] (Motown)—Motown 1966 [I]Soul Session[/I]—Soul 1966 [I]Roadrunner[/I]—Motown 1967 [I]Live[/I]—Soul 1969 [I]Gotta Hold on to This Feeling[/I]—Motown 1969 [I]Home Cookin'[/I]—Motown 1970 [I]Live[/I]!—Motown 1970 [I]A Gasss[/I]—Soul 1971 [I]Rainbow Funk[/I]—Soul 1971 [I]Moody Jr[/I].—Soul 1973 [I]Peace & Understanding[/I]—Soul 1974 [I]Jr. Walker & the All Stars[/I]—Motown 1976 [I]Whopper Bopper Show Stopper[/I]—Soul 1976 [I]Sax Appeal[/I]—Soul 1976 [I]Hot Shot[/I]—Soul 1977 [I]Motown Special[/I]—Motown 1978 [I]Smooth[/I]—Soul 1979 [I]Back Street Boogie[/I]—Whitfield 1983 [I]Blow the House Down[/I]—Motown 1994 [I]Nothing But Soul: The Singles[/I]—Motown [URL unfurl="true"]https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?334578-Jr-Walker-amp-The-All-Stars&highlight=walker[/URL] [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Post reply
Join us in the Cafe!
Contact mods
Follow us:
Member Blogs (currently active)
Saxophones
Pork Tales: Saxophone Repair DIY Adventures.
Started by PigSquealer
May 22, 2025
Replies: 1K
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Blog
Tenor Viol's musings
Started by Tenor Viol
Oct 22, 2016
Replies: 2K
Breakfastroom (chat and relax...)
Blog
Mike's musings
Started by MikeMorrell
Sep 5, 2024
Replies: 274
Breakfastroom (chat and relax...)
Trending
Pork Tales: Saxophone Repair DIY Adventures.
PigSquealer
May 22, 2025
Replies: 1K
Daily Check In
Jeanette
Apr 21, 2024
Replies: 3K
Is AI taking over!
mikaheik
Sep 12, 2025
Replies: 637
C Melody Saxophones
Andy Hornblower
Aug 19, 2015
Replies: 667
Today's Weather & Wild Temperature Swings
Tenor Viol
Dec 10, 2014
Replies: 1K
Selmer Supreme alto (quick look)
Stephen Howard
Sep 24, 2026
Replies: 67
watches
aldevis
Apr 29, 2012
Replies: 864
S
What are you listening to (plus reviews)
suethesax
Nov 18, 2007
Replies: 3K
The Official Off Topic Thread.
PigSquealer
Aug 4, 2025
Replies: 804
Saxophone word dissociation game
Pete Thomas
May 17, 2025
Replies: 2K
Popular Discussions on the Café
Saxophones
C Melody Saxophones
Started by Andy Hornblower
Aug 19, 2015
Replies: 667
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Saxophones
Carrying a tenor on a (motor)bike?
Started by Jay
Jul 4, 2015
Replies: 771
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Jazz
Music for Night Owls
Started by saxplorer
Mar 5, 2015
Replies: 466
Great music and favourite Videos
Playing the saxophone
The Cafe Trio grown to Octet down to Sextet
Started by trimmy
Feb 15, 2015
Replies: 844
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Saxophones
How will Tariffs affect Sax Prices?
Started by Ivan
Apr 4, 2025
Replies: 462
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Great Players
Who sparked your love of Sax music
Started by jools
Apr 2, 2008
Replies: 619
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Playing the saxophone
Learn to play by ear or by reading music
Started by Taz
Feb 16, 2016
Replies: 1K
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Tech/maintenance
My new "DIY" pads...
Started by DavidUK
Jan 12, 2022
Replies: 393
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Theory & Impro
Do we really need theory?
Started by jbtsax
Feb 18, 2016
Replies: 497
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
6
Misc Reviews
Yamaha YDS-150 Wind Synth
Started by Acc6441
Oct 22, 2020
Replies: 301
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Playing the saxophone
Learning to Read v Playing by ear
Started by BigMartin
Aug 19, 2015
Replies: 505
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Featured Classifieds
Inderbinen Tenor for Sale
for sale - PPT 8* tenor mouthpiece
10m fan celebration tenor H/R
1930 Selmer New Large Bore Tenor Saxophone #13895
isolo prime wireless mic with effects box
Selmer Alto Shortshank C* refaced to Meyer 6m by Ed Pillinger
H N White King Cleveland Curved Soprano Saxophone
1937 Martin Committee
Re faced Otto link NY
Whole load of grrrreat books & playalongs - fire sale
Straight soprano case for sale
Harry Hartmann Fiberreed for tenor - used once and disinfected
That Moaning Saxophone - Bruce Vermazen
AKG C12VR microphone
Tenor Sax Mouthpieces for sale
Original vintage Buescher brochure and vintage ads
Latest Song of the Month
T
SOTM
SOTM October 2026 - The Chicken
Started by Taragot
Yesterday at 8:15 PM
Replies: 5
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SotM September 2026 - Autumn Leaves
Started by mrblackbat
Sep 1, 2026
Replies: 23
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM August 2026 - Creep
Started by atwl77
Jul 31, 2026
Replies: 13
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
and Play by ear July 2026
Started by Wade Cornell
Jun 30, 2026
Replies: 21
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM June 2026 "And You Just Smile" (from ear to ear- training)
Started by LostCircuits
May 30, 2026
Replies: 11
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM May 2026 - Always Remember Us This Way
Started by MikeMorrell
Apr 28, 2026
Replies: 39
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM April 2026 - Freedom Jazz Dance
Started by rhysonsax
Mar 31, 2026
Replies: 14
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM and PETE (Play by Ear Training Exercise)
Started by Wade Cornell
Feb 28, 2026
Replies: 16
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM Feb 2026 - On Green Dolphin Street
Started by mrblackbat
Jan 31, 2026
Replies: 44
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM January 2026: Our Love Is Here to Stay
Started by GCinCT
Jan 1, 2026
Replies: 46
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM December 2025: Wexford Carol
Started by MikeMorrell
Nov 30, 2025
Replies: 37
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM November 2025 - Red Baron
Started by sax panther
Nov 1, 2025
Replies: 36
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
Forum statistics
Topics
32,266
Messages
576,269
Members
8,084
Latest member
Danny
Discussion
🎷 Main Discussion sections🎷
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Jr. Walkers Mouthpiece?
Back
Top
Bottom