support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Jamey Robinson: Bluegrass state sax man

Locality
Kentucky
How goes it all? My name is Jamey Robinson, hailing from beautiful Kentucky. I've been playing the saxophone for a modest 13 years. I majored in music at The University of the Cumberlands in Williamsburg, KY where I studied jazz improvisation under my great teacher and bandleader David Threlkeld. I've had the honor of playing with native sax master Miles Osland and the incomparable, world renowned sax player Jamey Aebersold who many are familiar with through his series of popular Aebersold play-along books. With my professor Mr. Threlkeld or "T" as we all affectionately know him as, I've played the bar scenes at Knoxville, TN with the now defunct blues band JOBE, and currently 1st tenor occasional baritone saxophonist with a local community jazz orchestra that plays around the state. My skill as a saxophonist is what I would rate as Intermediate. I still feel there is a lot of learning I have left to do before I can really slip on up to that Advanced level of mastery with my craft that I want to achieve. I'm hoping that being on the forums with fellow sax players will help build my inspiration for playing and lead to some informative ideas to improve my skill.

Big welcome from me. Love your forum name, I take it you're not a chemist, but an alchemist...
Have fun here.

Welcome to the caff©, musicalchemist.

You are now the official Forum Tipper for the Kentucky Derby. Tell us the winner or else you will be cursed with reed weevils. >:)

ENJOY!

Hi musicalchemist and welcome. I`m afraid the only other person I know from Kentucky is Colonel Saunders. I believe he chickened out from learning a sax at a very early age. Best regards N.

Hi and welcome to the best forum around. I was going to say something along the lines of "its finger licking good" but someone else has already beaten me to the Colonel Saunders joke!

Hello there. Welcome. I just got here myself.
If after all of that you think you are intermediate, then I've got a long ways to go:doh:.

Regards,
Gar

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jamey, and welcome from Crete, Greece.

I know someone in Kentucky, I expect you know him too... ;}

All the best

Sallie

Hi Jamey, Welcome from the DEEP SOUTH (New Zealand). Ever had a chance to play blue grass music? I've always wanted to on sax, but it's pretty much a string instrument thing. Some of those guys certainly can certainly improvise. Hope you find what you want. Fearless leader is a top pro and the rest of us kind of shuffle along.

Yes actually. My dad is a bassist for a bluegrass band called Level Green. I've played a few songs with them before, planning on playing a few tracks with them on their second album. Bluegrass is a fairly fast paced style of music, playing with them certainly posed a challenge as far as improvising goes. Having to throw out all I know about jazz music and adapting to the style and different chord structures was discombobulating, but enjoyable.

Thanks for the warm reception from everyone here. This has probably been the best reception in a forum intro that I've ever had before. It's good to be in a forum with people that have such good taste in instruments.

Sorry I beat you to it Taz. Apologies from a newbie to a senior. Hope I have not clocked up any penalty points.:shocked: Regds N.

Back
Top Bottom