support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Is there any Jazz I can actually listen to?

She's very open to all kinds of music, but the Jazz beat, drums/bass are a serious hurdle already and adding 'difficult' sax playing over it won't help.

How peculiar: I knew a woman with exactly the same disability.
Walking bass and hihat on 2 and 4 were driving her mad. She found that "unpleasant noise".
She ended up marrying a drummer, though...

After reading a few recommendations here and there, I decided to get hold of some Charlie Parker (forgot which) and Sonny Rollins (Tenor Madness I think) to hear how these so-called masters played. (so-called as I had never heard of them until recently!)

While there is no doubting the skill of these players, I found the music so awful I just couldn't listen. I could liken it to staring at a TV on a dead channel - although your brain starts to see things in that swirling snow after a few seconds which makes it interesting (yup, typical Friday night)

But with the Jazz I heard, there was no relief from the disjointed sounds and rhythms, and it got tedious very quickly. Like Captain Beefheart. The only discernable bits were when the songs started, and the bits when I pressed stop!

I suppose it's just a taste issue - I don't think an explanation of what's going on would help me enjoy it, but I think I like bebop more - can anyone suggest any saxy bebop? Or any more tuneful/rhythmic styles?

If I hear one more oldie saying 'I remember when music had proper tunes...!'
Just a shot, try Blue Mitchell's 'grafitti blues ' album. Herman Riley on tenor, and some nice dust-ups at a more logical tempo, great phrasing, and a good blow. Try Horace Silver's 'Song for my father 'for a real gutsy tenor blow from Joe Henderson, I think it was.
I also find quite a lot of bebop too busy for my well-being. The west coast jazz is a little lazy, smooth jazz too syrupy, but funk and blues is gutsy stuff. Note that that's a sweeping generalisation, there are some exceptional exceptions, and brother, you gotta believe it! Richie Cole, Art Pepper, Zoot Sims, 'Trane, Getz, Tubby Hayes, Wilton Felder, man, endless lists of really great guys, but you have to listen a to a lot of guys, and it'll still depend on what stage of their musical growth you're hearing anyway. It's a beautiful ride, and you'll feel it when it hits you!

Oh yeah, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy are great for getting you moving. Great instrumentalists once you get tired of bopping and finally sit down to listen.