All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Beginner Sax Is it illegal to fly somewhere with a cheapee sax and ‘ replace ‘ it on holiday ?

Jazz Is All

Café Supporter
Times, modes of travelling, and presumably how rigorously Customs do their "duty" (see what I did there?) have changed a lot, but I know that many Mk6s and other expensive horns were brought back into the UK from the States by the musicians in "Geraldo's Navy" from the '40's to the '60's. They used the simple expedient of taking an extra, well used, empty case out with them and buying said Mk6 without a case, at the (then) low New York prices, and bringing it back in the old case to sell here. I knew more than one person who benefited financially from this system.
One of them wouldn't by chance have been a guy from Cumbria who is a new member on this forum, would he? :rolleyes: ;)

Kenny Garrick

Don't get caught with any paperwork showing it was purchased out of the country so post that back or destroy it. But honestly you will be giving up the warranty and other benefits from purchasing in your country of origin. So is it worth it?

Phil

Commercial Supporter
We dont know that thte OP wants a new sax. It may be a killer used sax with no warranty. Buy a new sax and its worth a third less when you drive it off the lot anyway.

Dr G

Don't get caught with any paperwork showing it was purchased out of the country so post that back or destroy it. But honestly you will be giving up the warranty and other benefits from purchasing in your country of origin. So is it worth it?

I would love to learn how many people use their warranty for credible claims.

I am a proponent of buying a good used horn and investing in setting it up properly.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
I would love to learn how many people use their warranty for credible claims.
Indeed. Most issues that aren’t wear and tear are usually small and hardly worth the bother of a claim, corks becoming detached etc.
The main warrantee claims I have heard of are to do with failure of the lacquer, which should not deteriorate within the warranted period.

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom